City seeking an intern to assist with public events and outreach
The City of Portland Bureau of Planning and Sustainability (BPS) is seeking a Community Service Aide to assist with the development of the Portland Off-road Cycling Master Plan. BPS develops creative and practical solutions to enhance Portland’s livability, preserve distinctive places and plan for a resilient future.
The Portland Off-road Cycling Master Plan will develop a citywide plan for a system of off-road cycling facilities – such as sustainable trail networks, skill parks and pump tracks – where kids, adults, and families can ride for fun, exercise and to experience the outdoors in the city.
Community Service Aides are typically graduate students or recent graduates seeking entry-level work in the field of urban planning. They work under the guidance of professional planning staff on a variety of assignments.
Responsibilities may include:
- Organizing and staffing public events (including possible evening and weekend events), including outreach to historically under-represented or under-served communities
- Assisting with meeting coordination and note taking
- Maintaining testimony/comments database
- Synthesizing public feedback
- Completing research and analysis
- Knowledge of public outreach principles and practices
- Familiarity with equitable urban planning principles
- Ability to work with a wide variety of people with different professional and cultural backgrounds
- Comfort representing the project and bureau in public
- Clear and concise writing and strong verbal communication skills
- Flexibility, initiative, and ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Desired skills and experience:
- Direct personal or professional experience working with historically under-represented or under-served communities, such as communities of color, Portlanders with limited-English proficiency, low-income residents, youth, and Portlanders with disabilities
- Experience with public outreach
- Experience with research and data collection, organization and analysis
- Valid state driver’s license and a driving record that meets the City’s good driver criteria
- Ability to speak another language (Spanish, Vietnamese, Somali, Chinese, etc.)
Start date: January 2016
Hours: Approximately 30-40 hours per week
Duration: Through June 2016. This position is classified as a Community Service Aide, and is limited to no more than 1,400 hours per calendar year.
Compensation: $15-$18/hour depending on experience and qualifications
Benefits: Employee will be eligible for limited sick time and paid holidays
Application: Please submit a cover letter and resume describing your qualifications to
Bureau of Planning and Sustainability
1900 SW 4th Avenue #7100
Portland, OR 97201
Application Deadline: December 20, 2016
Equal Opportunity: The City of Portland (also referred to as the City) is fully committed to the concept and practice of equal opportunity and affirmative action in all aspects of employment.
Veterans: If you are requesting Veteran’s Preference, include a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veteran’s Administration letter stating your disability with your resume and cover letter. Veteran’s Preference documentation must be submitted no later than the closing of this recruitment.