Standard garbage service includes every other week pickup. You have options to fit your household’s needs. Increase or decrease the size of your garbage container or sign up for every four week pickup. Garbage roll carts come in 20, 35, 60 and 90-gallon sizes and are provided by your garbage and recycling company. Find your collection schedule.
Curbside Garbage Collection
- Garbage is picked up every other week.
- Do not pack cart or can tightly. Contents must fall out easily.
- Remove empty containers from curb within 24 hours.
- Weight limits vary depending on the size of your container. See Preparing your garbage below.
- Do not dispose of hazardous products in your garbage can. Learn how to dispose of hazardous waste.
- You can set out an extra bag or can of garbage on your regular collection day for $5.
Tips for every-other-week garbage
- Bag and tightly fasten waste, such as diapers and pet waste, before placing in your garbage container.
- Keep the lid securely closed.
- Store your garbage container out of direct sunlight.
- Sprinkle baking soda in your garbage can to avoid odors and deter insects.
Preparing Your Garbage
NO – keep these items out of your garbage container
These limits were set by the City of Portland to ensure the health and safety of the garbage and recycling company drivers:
- 20-gallon can - 35 lbs.
- 20-gallon roll cart - 60 lbs
- 32-gallon can - 55 lbs
- 35-gallon roll cart - 85 lbs
- 60-gallon roll cart - 135 lbs
- 90-gallon roll cart - 175 lbs
Don't overfill garbage containers or compact their contents. Contents must fall freely from the container. If your container is overweight, your driver will determine if it is safe to empty. If it is emptied, an extra charge may apply. If the container is not emptied because it is heavier than the maximum weight allowed, call the company's office as soon as possible for your pickup options. You will have to repack the material into containers or bags that meet the weight limits.
Customer-provided garbage cans are being phased out and these service levels are generally not available. Customers making service level changes to customer-provided cans will be required to switch to hauler-provided roll cart service. Customers who currently provide their own 20-gallon or 32-gallon garbage container may continue to do so at this time. Customer-provided garbage cans must be designed for safe handling; tapered, with a smaller bottom than top opening; non-absorbent; equipped with a watertight bottom, side handles, a handhold on the bottom, and tight-fitting lids or covers which can be removed easily; vector-resistant; durable; and easy to clean.