The Bureau of Planning and Sustainability (BPS) has released the Proposed Draft Plan for West Hayden Island. This draft incorporates feedback from the community and the WHI Advisory Committee, taken during 4 open houses, 16 hours of office hours, 5 technical work sessions, numerous neighborhood meetings and 21 Advisory Committee meetings, including many extra meetings during the past two months to accommodate in-depth discussions about the preliminary proposed draft plan.
The WHI Proposed Draft responds to City Council’s direction (Resolution #36805) to develop a legislative proposal for the possible annexation of West Hayden Island, including a concept plan for no more than 300 acres of marine industrial development and no fewer than 500 acres of protected open and recreational space. The Proposed Draft package includes:
- Revisions to the city’s Comprehensive Plan and Zoning Maps to assign land use designations to the island;
- Amendments to the Comprehensive Plan policies and zoning regulations, including the creation of a plan district to regulate uses and development on WHI;
- A proposed Intergovernmental Agreement (IGA) between the City and the Port of Portland outlining the timeline and responsibility for future improvements on the island; and
- The Proposed Draft of the Hayden Island Natural Resources Inventory and the Economic, Social, Environmental and Energy Analysis (ESEE), which provide the basis for the environmental portions of the zoning code. Due to their size, they are posted separately.
The release of the proposed draft plan kicks off two months of public outreach and discussion. Staff will be reviewing the draft with the project advisory committee and holding several work sessions in September with the committee and subject experts. The public will be able to review and comment on the Proposed Draft at an Open House on September 12, 6 – 9 p.m. Please check the project website for more details and additional dates.
On October 9th, BPS staff will give the Planning and Sustainability Commission a briefing on the Proposed Draft, and updating them on advisory committee and public feedback received to that point. The PSC will host a public hearing on October 23rd on the Proposed Draft and any proposed amendments or changes to the draft. The public is invited to testify in person at this hearing or in writing.
West Hayden Island Upcoming Meetings and Events
- 8/14: Release of Proposed Draft Plan
- 8/14, 2 – 3 p.m.: Planning and Sustainability Commission Briefing on Proposed Draft Plan and Health Scope of Work (the public is welcome to attend, but no public testimony will be taken at this time)
- 9/7, 9 a.m. – noon: Advisory Committee Work Session on Transportation (on Hayden Island, Oxford Suites Hotel)
- 9/12, 6 – 9 p.m.: Open House for Proposed Draft (on Hayden Island, Oxford Suites Hotel); comments welcome
- 9/21, 9 a.m. – noon: Advisory Committee Work Session on Natural Resources and Finance (1900 SW 4th Ave, Room 7A)
- 9/28, 9 – 1 p.m.: Advisory Committee Work Session on WHI Health Report (on Hayden Island, Oxford Suites Hotel)
- 10/1, 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.: 2nd Open House (NEW LISTING) for Proposed Draft and Health Report (Portland Expo Center); comments welcome
- 10/2, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.: Advisory Committee Final meeting (1900 SW 4th Ave, Room 7A
- 10/9, 12:30 p.m.: PSC Briefing on Draft Proposed Plan and update on WHI Health Report
- 10/23, 6:30p.m. (tentative time-check calendar): PSC Public Hearing on Proposed Draft Plan; public testimony taken
The public hearing will be at 1900 SW 4th Ave., Portland, OR 97201, Room 2500, and Portlanders are invited to testify in person at this time. For written comments, please mail them to the Planning and Sustainability Commission, 1900 SW 4th Ave, Portland, OR 97201, Suite 7100. Comments may also be emailed to email@example.com. For more tips for testifying, please visit the PSC website.
For more information, check the project website at www.portlandoregong.gov/bps/whi or call 503-823-9715.
The Bureau of Planning and Sustainability is committed to providing equal access to information and hearings. If you need special accommodation, please call 503-823-7700, the City’s TTY at 503-823-6868, or the Oregon relay Service at 1-800-735-2900.