A limited number of tickets are now on sale for the 11th annual Build It Green! Home Tour and Info Fair. Set for Saturday, September 22, the self-guided tour is presented by the City of Portland Bureau of Planning and Sustainability and will feature 14 green remodels and new homes around Portland. Buy tickets at Green Depot in SE Portland or online at www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/builditgreen.
"Every September Portlanders look forward to the annual Build It Green! Home Tour and Info Fair as a fun way to experience sustainable design and see for themselves what green building is all about," said Mayor Sam Adams. "It's another example of how the City is implementing the Portland Plan, our city's road map to a prosperous, educated, healthy and equitable future."
- Affordable new home-ownership courtyard housing in outer SE Portland.
- Eight new accessory dwelling units (ADUs), including one converted garage.
- An accessible remodel featuring salvaged materials and Universal Design principles.
- A non-profit community center on a reclaimed brownfield (a former gas station).
- A new pocket neighborhood in the Cully neighborhood.
- Two new homes built to the Passive House standard.
- Several projects featuring ecoroofs, swales and permeable paving.
New workshops included in ticket price
This year’s tour offers new workshops at selected tour stops. No registration is required and the workshops are included in the ticket price. Workshop topics include Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) Basics, Rainwater Harvesting, Naturescaping, Gray Water Reuse, Permaculture, Living Building Challenge, Passive Houses, Small Home Communities and Energy Performance Scores. View workshop details at www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/builditgreen.
Stop and start where you choose and pick up great ideas for your current or future home
Chat with homeowners, designers, do-it-yourselfers and contractors about solar panels, ecoroofs (green roofs), rainwater harvesting, money-saving ideas, natural landscaping, affordable housing, water and energy conservation, natural building materials and alternative construction techniques. Visit www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/bigtourpreview for a preview of each tour stop.
- Tour date: Saturday, September 22, 2012
- Tour time: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Info Fair hours: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The Build It Green! Info Fair at Green Depot in SE Portland (819 SE Taylor, Portland, OR, 503-222-3881) is a fun, family friendly prelude to the Tour with green vendors, demonstrations, food, drink and music.
- $15 general admission
- $10 honored citizens/students/alternative transportation
- Children 13 years-old and under are FREE.
- Info Fair is FREE and open to everyone.
- Online ticket sales: www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/builditgreen
- In-person ticket sales: Green Depot, 819 SE Taylor, Portland, OR, 503-222-3881 (cash and check only)
- Staff will make reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities. Please notify us no fewer than five (5) business days prior to the event by phone at 503-823-7700, by the TTY line at 503-823-6868, or the Oregon Relay Service at 1-800-735-2900.
Thank you to our 2012 Build It Green! Home Tour and Info Fair sponsors
Green Depot, Energy Trust of Oregon, KINK-FM, Metro, Oregon Home Magazine, Solar Oregon, Portland Water Bureau, City of Portland Environmental Services and City of Portland Bureau of Development Services.
Visit www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/builditgreen, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 503-823-5431 for tickets and more information.