Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

Planning and Sustainability

Innovation. Collaboration. Practical Solutions.

Phone: 503-823-7700

Fax: 503-823-7800

1900 SW 4th Ave, Suite 7100, Portland, OR 97201

More Contact Info

Subscribe to RSS feed

Most Recent

View More

Summary Meeting Notes for CIC Meeting on December 12, 2012

Community Involvement Committee

Meeting Minutes

Meeting Date: Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Time: 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.

Committee Members present: Paula Amato, Jason Barnstead-Long, Judy BlueHorse Skelton, Lois Cohen, Liz Gatti, Anyeley Hallova, Shirley Nacoste, Linda Nettekoven, Stanley Penkin, Howard Shapiro, Peter Stark, Alison Stoll

Absent: Judith Gonzalez Plascencia, Lai-Lani Ovalles, Ryan Schera, Howard Shapiro

Staff:Eden Dabbs, Diane Hale, Alex Howard, Deborah Stein, Marty Stockton, Desiree Vaughn-Rose, Sandra Wood

Visitors: None

 

Welcome

Stanley Penkin filled in for Howard Shapiro. The meeting minutes were approved from the previous meetings dated July 18, September 19 and October 17, 2012.

Announcements

The next CIC meeting in January will adhere to the new meeting schedule as confirmed by the Doodle Poll with meetings on the fourth Wednesday of every month.

CIC – Meetings in 2013

  • Wednesday, January 23rd*
  • Wednesday, February 27th
  • Wednesday, March 27th*
  • Wednesday, April 24th
  • Wednesday, May 22nd*
  • Wednesday, June 26th
  • Wednesday, July 24th*
  • Wednesday, August 28th
  • Wednesday, September 25th*
  • Wednesday, October 23rd
  • Wednesday, November 27th*

 

All meetings will be held from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in 2500A on the 2nd Floor unless otherwise noted. A light lunch will be served.

The bold/asterisk denotes the dates for the formal committee meetings. Every other month will be reserved for subcommittee work. While everyone is expected to attend the formal committee meetings, we want as many of the CIC members to attend the every other month subcommittee meetings to broaden input into subcommittee work.

Marty announced the meetings below:

 

  • Comp Plan Update briefing, Tuesday, December 11th, 12:30p.m.; 1900 SW 4th   Avenue, 2nd Floor, Conference Room 2500

 

Policy Expert Groups and Working Groups –December/January Meetings

  • Industrial Land & Watershed Health Working Group meeting, Wednesday, December 12th, 10:00a.m - 12:00p.m.; 1900 SW 4th Avenue, 7th Floor, Conference Room 7A
  • Residential Development and Compatibility PEG meeting, Thursday, December 13th, 4:00-6:00p.m., Conference Room 7A
  • Education and Youth Success PEG meeting, Monday, December 17th, 4:00-6:00p.m.; 1900 SW 4th Avenue, 7th Floor, Conference Room 7A
  • Economic Development PEG meeting, Wednesday, December 19th, 11:30a.m. to 1:30p.m.; 1900   SW 4th Avenue, 7th Floor, Conference Room 7A
  • Neighborhood Centers PEG meeting, Thursday, December 20th, 8:00-10:00a.m.; 1900   SW 4th Avenue, 7th Floor, Conference Room 7A
  • Network PEG meeting, Tuesday, December 18th, 1:00-3:00p.m.; 1900 SW 4th Avenue, 4th Floor, Conference Room 4A
  • Community Involvement PEG meeting, Thursday, December 20th, 6:00-8:00p.m.; City Hall, 1221 SW 4th Avenue, Pettygrove Conference Room
  • Infrastructure Equity PEG meeting, Tuesday, January 8th, 1:00-2:00p.m.; 1900   SW 4th Avenue, 2nd Floor, Conference Room 2500A

 

CIC decisions and follow up actions

With the CIC meeting schedule for 2013 addressed, the CIC moved on to new business.

 

Comp Plan Update - process update

Sandra Wood reported on the Comp Plan Update process update. Sandra continued that the project is at a shifting point once the Working Draft Part 1 of the Comprehensive Plan is released. The Policy Expert Groups have been doing well. This draft involves the work of staff compiling draft policy, incoporating recent City policy and conducting an audit of existing policy, as well as incorporating or “goalifying” the Portland Plan. Sandra emphasized that the Comprehensive Plan does have a legal basis.

Sandra stated that the plan is for a late December public release of the draft. Steps to release include staff’s continued work to review and address bureau comments. A professional editor will also review the draft for spelling and grammatical errors.

In regards to the Periodic Review Work Program, the background reports informed both the Portland Plan and the Comp Plan Update. Sandra added that the work is now moving into Task 3 with the release of the Scenarios Report in January/February 2013. Task 4 will be to come up with a preferred scenario, which will seen in the advancement of the Urban Design Framework.

Sandra shared that staff had to split the working draft into the Goals and Policies within Part 1 and the more advanced (60%) Urban Design Framework, draft Comprehensive Plan Map, draft Transportation Systems Plan (TSP), list of significant projects and the Citywide Systems Plan in Part 2.

Deborah Stein stated that the reasons for splitting the draft include include staff capacity and the need to not overwhelm the public with the amount of material to review and provide feedback. Marty added that a lesson from the Portland Plan included adequate review time for the public.

Sandra continued outlining the Periodic Review Work Program by discussion Task 5 – Implementation, which will focus on a few significant efforts to make sure the zoning code is in compliance with the new Comp Plan policies/maps. Examples of projects within the implementation phase include: addressing the industrial lands shortfall with potential rezoning. Deborah added with any proposed map changes there will be tiers to what is considered. Liz Gatti replied that this will be important for areas to be recognized and documented. Deborah responded in the affirmative.

Liz asked whether with the change in administration if the new Mayor has had a chance to review the draft plan. Sandra responded that Susan Anderson, bureau director, has had several conversations with Mayor-elect Hales.

Peter Stark asked how this process fits in with the Central City Quadrant Plans and the timing of the Eastside Quadrant. Diane Hales responded that right now the Eastside Quadrant would follow the Westside Quadrant work. Diane added that the quadrant planning is an example of refining planning that is happening concurrently with the Comprehensive Plan and that staff are working together to address any policy/map conflicts.

Stan asked, from staff’s perspective, how has this process worked, especially with the Policy Expert Groups (PEGs). Sandra replied so far it is working well. The PEGS are well engaged, community members. Sandra added that some PEGS are feeling there is lots of work and not enough time, but this depends on the topic focus. The Planning and Sustainability Commission’s (PSC) involvement in the PEGs has helped PSC members feel very informed. Sandra added that the process has evolved with the addition of considering equity in this work.

Linda Nettekoven asked what roles do the PEGs play. Sandra replied that the PEGs are on of the main audiences for the Goals and Policies. Once the draft is out, each PEG will get to the see the work the other PEGs are doing. Linda asked when the PEGs will be phased out. Sandra stated that potentially in late 2013/early 2014 once the discussions are held at the Planning and Sustainability Commission hearings.

Community Involvement Plan

Diane walked through the draft Community Involvement Plan and prompted the committee for discussion and/or toprovide feedback. Marty asked if the CIC have other suggestions and/or other relationship building ideas. Marty highlighted that focused effort is needed on ongling forums and relationship building. Marty added this may be a potential subcommittee topic going forward.

Stan replied that forums will be with smaller groups and that involves lots of time and lots of staff. The CIC will need to step in and help.

Peter added that utilizing the Neighborhood Coalition meetings would be a good place to start. Linda suggested Venture Portland and the Diversity Civic Leadership Partners. Linda continued that staff would give the community a heads up on this opportunity. A subcommittee was suggested to address this next stage in engaging commmunities. Jason, Judy, Linda, Lois, Liz all showed interest. Deborah and Marty will work with staff to coordinate involvement of the CIC in these initial discussions. Stan added to please remind the CIC for the need of youth engagement. Deborah shared that the CIC’s concern for engaging youth is even more critical now that the bureau has lost funding of the youth program.

Stan added that the Community Involvement Plan is a great document. Marty said the Community Involvement Plan will be posted on the website in the first of the year.

The request to invite the Mayor was raised. Marty stated that she would go through the appropriate protocal to extend a formal invitation to the Mayor. Lois Cohen asked the group what will the Mayor get out of the CIC meeting. Lois added that the CIC needs to come up with goals for the Maor to take away.

“Workshop” the workshop questions for the public

Marty gave a brief overview on the format of the workshops. Within the fair/open house there would be stations around the room that would focus on the chapters of the document, highlighting key questions. Additionally there could be breakout sessions that would focus on topics more deeply

Alex Howard then walked the committee through the draft suvey/workshop questions.

Peter stated he found the draft questions frustrating and that there needs to be the ability for the public to answer how they want to and to not be lead. Peter emphasized that this includes the ability to answer free form.

Anyeley Hallova shared her preference for yes/no options rather than right direction/wrong direction. Anyeley continued with the suggestion to focus on prioritization rather than right direction/wrong direction, asking “isn’t this where we are in the process?” The former seems too close to Portland Plan questions. There are questions that aren’t answered by the PEG and should be answered by the public.

Liz suggested adding pictures and/or graphics.

A summary of the CIC feedback is below:

 

  • The survey questions must be free of technical words or planning jargon. Define all potentially confusing terms within the question.
  • Question writers may err on the side of clarity, not brevity.
  • The Comp Plan Management Team recommended restating the Portland Plan conclusions and then asking a clarifying or follow-up question
  • The CIC recommended against using right direction/wrong direction.
  • The CIC liked sliding scales for showing degree of preference and/or rankings.
  • The CIC liked providing options (e.g., check all that apply)
  • The CIC liked including an opportunity for respondents to add new ideas and open ended comments.
  • The CIC did not recommend reconfirming decisions made through the Portland Plan.

 

Stan asked that the next version of the draft survey be emailed out to the CIC.

Public comment

No public members were in attendance.

Next steps

The next CIC meeting will be moved up a week to Wednesday, January 23, 2013 from 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.

For more information, please contact Marty Stockton, Bureau of Planning and Sustainability at 503-823-2041 or marty.stockton@portlandoregon.gov.

 

Heartbleed Security Notice

A serious security vulnerability known as "Heartbleed" was recently discovered in OpenSSL, a popular software library commonly used by many websites on the internet to encrypt communication between a user's computer and a web server.

PortlandOregon.gov is NOT affected by this vulnerability as it does not use the OpenSSL software library. Please rest assured we are dedicated to protecting your security on this website.