Education and Youth Success Policy Expert Group Meeting #11
Date: Monday, May 20, 2013
Time: 4:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. (note extended time)
Location: 1900 SW 4th Avenue, Portland, 7th Floor - Conference Room 7A
- Finalize PEG summary memo
- Build a deeper understanding of how population growth in Portland can affect schools, parks and other facilities and services through an interactive exercise
- Identify leading issues for staff to consider in developing a land use map and investment strategy
Welcome and Announcements (5 minutes)
Facilitator: Clark Worth, Barney & Worth
Description: Re-introductions; review meeting objectives; announcements from group members
PEG DISCUSSION: Education and Youth Success Summary Memo (40 minutes)
Description: Review draft summary memo and discuss suggested revisions to: 1) identify highlights and key messages emerging from the PEG; 2) articulate general themes; and 3) provide clear guidance to staff on next steps in the Comprehensive Plan update.
PRESENTATION: Managing Growth and Change (20 minutes)
Presenter: Tom Armstrong, BPS
Description: How will population growth in Portland over the next 25 years affect schools, parks and other facilities and services?
- The Citywide picture
- Growth projections by school district
- Why this matters (challenges and opportunities)
- What “levers” does the city have to positively influence how/where household and job growth occurs
PEG DISCUSSION: Mapping Exercise (60 minutes)
Facilitator: Clark Worth; Deborah Stein
Description: Using an East Portland school district case study, explore how different growth patterns and investment strategies can positively or negatively affect key community assets (schools, parks, safe routes, libraries, other) that support youth success.
- How well do concepts for “centers and corridors” apply in this district?
- What land use changes, capital investments and/or regulatory measures are needed for this concept to apply successfully here?
- What new opportunities are there for partnerships (e.g., co-location of K-12 schools with institutions?)
- From this exercise, what can we apply to other school districts?
Public Comment (10 minutes)
All guests are welcome to address the PEG at this time.
PEG DISCUSSION: Concluding Thoughts (15 minutes)
Description: Roundtable reflections on the past year’s work and THANK YOU’S!