Curbside Collection Service Requirements
Curbside collection service for households with four or fewer units is provided by garbage and recycling companies in franchised areas. The City oversees these companies and sets rates and service options. Your garbage bill comes directly from the company that services your rental property.
Property owners of residential rentals of houses and smallplexes (2-4 units) through City of Portland Title 29 Code are required to:
- Contact the garbage and recycling company that services your property to set up service in the property owner’s name. (Service cannot be set up by or billed to the tenant. The bill can be sent to a property management company).
- Directly pay the garbage and recycling company for services provided.
- Provide at least the minimum required service level of 20 gallons of garbage capacity per unit
Under Title 29 the Bureau of Planning and Sustainability considers landlords and garbage and recycling companies in compliance as long as the bill is in the landlord’s name and is sent to the landlord, or property manager for payment. All issues related to how, or if, landlords charge tenants for provision of services are outside of BPS authority. Title 29 neither requires nor prohibits landlords from recouping these costs from tenants. For landlord-tenant assistance contact Community Alliance for Tenants at 503-288-0130.
Minimum Service Level Requirements and Recommendations
Property owners who fail to provide adequate service can be subject to enforcement actions, including fines.
Green roll cart for food scraps and yard debris - Weekly pickup
- One green composting roll cart for single family homes, duplexes, triplexes and fourplexes.
Blue roll cart for recycling - Weekly pickup
- One blue recycling roll cart for single family homes and duplexes.
- At least two blue recycling roll carts for triplexes and fourplexes.
Yellow bin for glass only - Weekly pickup
- One yellow glass only bin or other rigid container with a glass-only sticker.
Garbage - Every-other-week pickup
- The minimum requirement is 20 gallons per unit.
- Property owners can choose the size and number of garbage containers for each property.
Service Options and Rates
View all available service options and monthly rates for rental houses and smallplexes (2-4 units): Standard Rates for Residential Garbage, Recycling and Composting Service.