Prepare your tree for pick-up by removing all tinsel, lights, ornaments, wire, nails, stands and other materials that cannot be composted. Trees covered in fake snow are not accepted as compost and must be disposed of as garbage.
Curbside collection: Tree pieces
- Cut the trunk and branches into pieces less than 36 inches long and 4 inches in diameter.
- Tie bundles securely with string or twine; weight limit is 45 lbs.
- Ensure that any tree pieces in your green composting roll cart do not poke above the lip of the cart; weight limit is 135 lbs.
- Put extra bundles or cans of yard debris at the curb for $3.75 each.
Curbside collection: Whole trees
- Put trees 6 feet and under out at the curb on collection day for $4.50.
- Cut larger trees down to 6 feet to ensure driver safety.
Interested in arranging a pickup with a nonprofit organization for a fee?
Call Metro’s recycling hotline at 503-234-3000 for more information.
Note to Multifamily residents
Check with your property manager or owner about live holiday trees before you bring one home. Knowing how and where to dispose of the tree can prevent unanticipated log jams (and extra costs).
Need help remembering garbage day?
Sign up for free email reminders at www.garbagedayreminders.com.
Have a question for our Curbside Hotline Operator?
Submit your question online or call 503-823-7202.