Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

Planning and Sustainability

Innovation. Collaboration. Practical Solutions.

Phone: 503-823-7700

Curbside Hotline: 503-823-7202

1900 SW 4th Ave, Suite 7100, Portland, OR 97201

More Contact Info

For Sellers of Single-family Homes

Who is responsible?

Sellers who put a single-family home on the market for sale in Portland. Single-family homes include existing, detached single-family homes; existing attached single-family structures like townhomes, duplexes, row-houses and common-wall houses that are laid out side-by-side (not stacked.) 

What are the requirements?

1. Obtain a home energy report that complies with the State definition, which includes the following information:

  • A score, as generated by a home energy performance score system , and an explanation of the score.
  • An estimate of the total annual energy used in the home, by fuel type.
  • An estimate of the total monthly or annual cost of energy purchased for use in the home, in dollars, by fuel type.
  • The current average annual utility retail energy price, by fuel type.

2. Provide the home energy performance report to the City of Portland and to any prospective buyer who visits the home while it is on the market.

How to comply?

At any time prior to listing the home publicly for sale on the real-estate market, the seller will obtain a home energy assessment conducted by a licensed and certified home energy assessor. The State of Oregon has established criteria for certifying home energy assessors, including specialized training requirements.

The home energy assessor will conduct an onsite assessment and use energy modeling software to produce an energy score for the home. The modeling software used by assessors will be the U.S. Department of Energy’s Home Energy Score tool. This tool is compliant with Oregon House Bill 2801, which gives authority to the Oregon Department of Energy to approve home energy scoring tools. The home energy assessor will make the score and report available to the seller after the assessment.

Sellers must make the home energy performance report available to any prospective buyer who comes to the home. This can be accomplished in multiple ways: for example, by having a supply of printed reports available in the home or by posting information in a label format inside the home. Specific implementation details will be determined in rulemaking.

Sellers also must provide the home energy performance report to the City of Portland via email or online web form set up by the City specifically for this purpose. The City intends to make energy performance reports publicly available through Sellers may also provide the score to their real-estate professional, if they are working with one. The real-estate professional may choose to use this to market the home and populate listings with the score and associated information from the home energy performance report.

Are there any proposed exemptions?

Yes. See Exemptions, Waivers and Deferrals.