Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

Planning and Sustainability

Innovation. Collaboration. Practical Solutions.

Phone: 503-823-7700

Curbside Hotline: 503-823-7202

1900 SW 4th Ave, Suite 7100, Portland, OR 97201

More Contact Info

For sellers of newly constructed homes

Who is responsible?

New homebuilders of single-family homes, including existing, detached single-family homes; existing attached single-family structures like townhomes, duplexes, row-houses and common-wall houses that are laid out side-by-side (not stacked.) 

What are the requirements?

Since many new homes sell before they’re fully constructed, new homebuilders will submit a preliminary disclosure to the City based on design documents.

How to comply?

At any time prior to listing the home publicly for sale on the real estate market, the homebuilder will hire a State-certified home energy assessor to provide a preliminary Home Energy Performance Report before the home is listed for sale. The State of Oregon has established criteria for certifying home energy assessors, including specialized training requirements.

The home energy assessor will use energy modeling software to produce an energy score for the home, based on design documents instead of an onsite assessment. The modeling software used by assessors will be the U.S. Department of Energy’s Home Energy Score tool. This tool is compliant with Oregon House Bill 2801, which gives authority to the Oregon Department of Energy to approve home energy scoring tools. The home energy assessor will provide the score and report to the homebuilder.

Homebuilders must make the home energy performance report available to any prospective buyer. This can be accomplished in multiple ways, for example, by including the information in a listing of the home for sale or by posting information in a label format inside a model home. Specific implementation details will be determined in rulemaking.

Homebuilders also must provide the home energy performance report to the City of Portland via email or online web form set up by the City specifically for this purpose. The City intends to make energy performance reports publicly available through

Are there any proposed exemptions?

Yes. See Exemptions, Waivers and Deferrals.