Binding City Policy
Section 1. The Council finds:
1. Ordinance No. 176246, approved by Council February 6, 2002, last amended Contract No. 27301, which gave TriMet responsibility for administering the Carpool Program on behalf of the City of Portland.
2. Funding for this program from Metro ended in September 2005 and TriMet chose to no longer administer the City’s program.
3. Contract No. 27301 therefore is no longer in effect.
4. While the city has had an informal carpool policy, it was never formally adopted by Council. The formalization of this policy and inclusion of the administrative rule will define the city’s carpool policy and the process for future revisions.
5. Per the Central City Transportation Management Plan (CCTMP) and the Transportation System Plan (TSP), carpooling is an important commute option. Carpooling reduces congestion, improves air quality, and reduces the number of single-occupant vehicles throughout the metropolitan area.
NOW THEREFORE, the Council directs:
a. PDOT to adopt administrative rules to be included in Portland Policy Documents which incorporate the proposed changes as described in Exhibit A and Attachment B .
b. The PDOT Director is delegated the authority to modify and authorize future carpool parking prices and policies.
c. PDOT to create a Carpool Program Advisory Committee (CPAC) to advise the PDOT Director. The CPAC would be authorized to review carpool permit and survey information annually and to recommend policy and/or pricing changes to the PDOT Director.
d. This ordinance is binding city policy.
Link to Exhibit A - Carpool Program Changes September 2007 (PDF Document, 20 kb)
Link to Attachment B - Carpool District Map, Downtown and Lloyd (PDF Document, 368 kb)
Ordinance No. 181354, passed by City Council October 10, 2007, and effective November 9, 2007.