Portland Fire & Rescue | BECOME AN EXPLORER
Building Young Men's and Women's Confidence, Leadership, and Teamwork Skills in a Fire Service Environment
An orientation meeting will be held on September 22nd, 2012 at 9 a.m.. The meeting will be held at the Training Facility, 4800 NE 122nd Avenue. Completed applications and essay questionnaires will be accepted at the orientation meeting. The meeting will cover all program requirements. Attendance at the orientation meeting is optional.
The application deadline will be September 27th, 2012. Candidates will be notified by email or telephone on Sept. 28th. The starting date will be Sept. 29th. The $30 cost and the $25 deposit will be collected by October 13th.
The Portland Fire & Rescue (PF&R) Explorer Program provides the opportunity for young men and women, ages 16 to 20, to become familiar with career opportunities available in the fire service. Through classroom instruction, hands-on training, and volunteer work, Explorers are provided a base of knowledge and experience that will benefit them not only in fire service careers, but also in all future endeavors. The program is designed to encourage and promote accountability, being safe, communication, teamwork, fitness and develop leadership skills. The Explorer Program is a subsidiary of the Learning for Life organization. The mission statement for Learning for Life is to enable young people to become responsible individuals by teaching positive character traits, career development, leadership and life skills so they can make moral choices and achieve their full potential.
PF&R is committed to providing our Explorers with the most realistic experience possible. The Explorer Program is designed and functions similarly to a Fire Science/Fire Academy. Program Objectives:
- Hands-on training and fire ground skills
- Emergency Medical Response skills
- Physical fitness
- Academic Requirements
- Crew Dynamics/Interaction
- Tours of specialty areas within PF&R
- Application/Interview Process
The goal of the program is to provide Explorers with a basic understanding of the fire service and to prepare them for future professional advancement opportunities such as Resident/Volunteer Firefighting, College Level Fire Science Programs and EMT/Paramedic Programs.
- Explorers must be between the ages of 16 and 20.
- Explorers must be able to attend weekly drills every Saturday from 9:00 am to 11:30 am, October through May.
- Pass weekly quizzes and complete academic assignments.
- Perform weekly physical fitness and training specific to fire fighting skills, including the ability to finish the Physical Agility Test (PAT) upon completion from the Program.
- Complete assigned duties/responsibilities in a timely manner.
- Adhere to dress and conduct codes provided.
- Willingness to make improvements and show self motivation
- Cost for the Explorer Program is $30. This includes the membership to the Learning for Life organization and one (1) t-shirt. An additional refundable deposit of $25.00 is required for the reading material. Explorers will be issued reading material, turnout coat, pants, boots, gloves and helmet to be returned at the completion of the program.
Further Information & Questions:
For further information or if you have questions, please contact Station 28 at (503) 823-3700.