Posted: July 24th, 2010 8:19 PM
Regional responders have been busy today responding to calls for help on local water ways. Portland Fire & Rescue reminds everyone to use caution near the water.
1. Use life jackets when near water.
2. Remember cold water cools the body 32 times faster than cold air.
3. Untrained individuals should only attempt water rescue from the shore by throwing a life preserver or using something to reach out to the victim.
4. Swim in areas with a lifeguard present.
5. Use a feet first entry unless the area is clearly marked for diving and has no obstructions.
6. Do not mix alcohol and swimming.
7. When boating always wear a personal flotation device, know your equipment and have a good understanding of safety procedures.
**Regional responders request that members of the media (especially with helicopters) be hyper-vigilant on calls where Life Flight is responding. This request is made in the interest of safety and to avoid impeding this valuable resource.
Contact Info: Lt. Damon Simmons-Media Pager (503)940-6003
55 SW Ash Street, Portland, OR 97204