After the application period closes on October 29, 2010, applications will be screened and interviews will be scheduled.
Community Services Aide II -Emergency Medical Services Intern
Position Available: 1 position for a college-level applicant
Position Descriptions: Portland Fire & Rescue (PF&R) is seeking a college-level student enrolled in nursing or paramedic school to work as an intern in its Emergency Operations Division. Students enrolled in prerequisite classes for these programs will also be considered. The position in the Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Section will: retrieve data and reports, attend meetings and record minutes, perform statistical calculations of paramedic profiles, perform statistical analysis of Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) scores, track, summarize performance data, and research and retrieve quality improvement literature. The position will also be responsible for monitoring vaccine and supply inventory for the EMS office and assisting in medical inventory for PF&R. Other duties will include summarizing occupational exposure reports, filing as needed, and developing written monthly summaries of personnel exposures.
Applicants must possess:
- Knowledge of proper grammar, spelling and usage; business math; effective office operations and procedures; and operation of a variety of office equipment and machines
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Publisher
- Ability to establish and maintain effective interpersonal relationships with others; communicate effectively, orally and in writing; maintain confidentiality as appropriate; provide effective customer service and apply judgment within established parameters; write detailed, coherent, and highly organized papers, letters, documents, and memos
- Skill in using data entry and word processing software to perform statistical analysis, formatting, calculation, formula and chart construction; accurately type at 60+ words per minute
Start Date: Approximately November 15, 2010
Time Commitment: 1 Year from Date of Hire
Hours: 20 hours per week (will work with school schedules)
Pay: $13.50 per hour (not eligible for benefits)
Application Process: Please submit your resume and cover letter specifically focused on your qualifications for the position (2 page maximum) via mail, fax, or email to:
Public Information Manager
Portland Fire & Rescue
55 SW Ash
Portland, Oregon 97204
Requirements: Upon hire, successful applicants will need to:
- Pass a criminal background investigation
- Provide proof of active enrollment in a higher-education institution
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Be able to lift up to 30 lbs.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted through approximately October 29, 2010. Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at time of application. Minorities, women, and qualified individuals with disabilities are urged to apply. If you wish to identify yourself as an individual with a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990 and will be requesting accommodation for the job testing processes, the requests must be made to the contact person identified in this announcement no later than the closing date of this announcement.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
- Portland Fire & Rescue
- We Respond: Always Ready, Always There
- October 15, 2010