Grilled Ham & Sweet Potato Kabobs
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds cooked ham, cut in 1 to 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 1/2 pounds fresh sweet potatoes, cooked, peeled, and cut in 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small (6-ounce) can frozen pineapple juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 medium green pepper, cut in 1 1/2-inch squares
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Begin by making Pineapple Sauce by combining cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of the pineapple concentrate; stir until smooth. Stir in the remaining pineapple concentrate, the chili sauce, honey, and oil. Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce begins to boil. Boil for about 1 minute.
- Set Pineapple Sauce aside.
- On six skewers, alternate threaded cubed ham, sweet potatoes, and green pepper squares
- Brush kabobs with Pineapple Sauce.
- Grill over medium coals for 15 to 20 minutes, brushing with sauce frequently.
- Serve with rice and remaining sauce.
Portland Fire & Rescue
We Respond: Always Ready, Always There
April 6, 2011