Station 29 in SE Portland achieved the biggest savings percentage in FY 2010-11 by cleaning air filters on a monthly basis, limiting the use of heat-generating appliances such as the oven, dishwasher and clothes dryer during the daytime hours when temperatures are hottest, closing the blinds, and using fans.
In February 2009, Portland Fire & Rescue (PF&R) launched the station-based utility budgeting and incentive program to help reduce utility consumption and expenditures in the 30 fire stations strategically located throughout the city.
Under the program, six stations with the greatest percentage of savings qualify for a reward equal to 50% of their respective savings, up to $1,000. The winning stations may use the budget reward to purchase house items for their stations.
In Fiscal Year 2009-2010, Stations 4, 8, 13, 14, 28, and 29 achieved the biggest percentage of savings:
- Station 14, located at 1905 NE Killingsworth St - 12.1% savings
- Station 28, located at 5540 NE Sandy Blvd - 11.9% savings
- Station 29, located at 13310 SE Foster Rd - 11.1% savings
- Station 13, located at 926 NE Weidler - 11.1% savings
- Station 4, located at 511 SW College St - 9.3% savings
- Station 8, located at 7134 N. Maryland Ave - 9.2% savings
This year, the following four stations achieved the biggest savings percentages:
- Station 29, located at 13310 SE Foster Rd - 18.2% savings
- Station 14, located at 1905 NE Killingsworth St - 4.6% savings
- Station 16, located at 1715 SW Skyline - 0.8% savings
- Station 18, located temporarily to 9155 SW Barbur Blvd - 0.6% savings
Stations 1 and 31 were excluded from this year’s contest due to station remodeling and relocations.
Congratulations to firefighters at Station 14, 16, 18 and 29, especially Stations 14 and 29, for making the list two years in a row, and thanks to every station for a great effort in reducing PF&R’s utility spending and contributing to a healthier environment.
Portland Fire & Rescue
We Respond: Always Ready, Always There
October 10, 2011