Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

Neighborhood Involvement

Building inclusive, safe and livable neighborhoods and communities.

ONI Main: 503-823-4519

City/County Info: 503-823-4000

TDD: 503-823-6868

1221 SW 4th Ave, Suite 110, Portland, OR 97204

2014 SE Liquor Forum

The City of Portland’s Liquor Licensing Program will be hosting a public forum on City of Portland liquor licensing and alcohol policy. Join us at PCC CLIMB center on May 7 at 6:00 PM. Parking vouchers will be available at the front desk.

Download File (PDF Document, 136kb)

What is the Purpose of Time, Place and Manner Ordinance?

On February 18, 2004, City Council passed Time, Place, and Manner (TPM) Ordinance. This ordinance provides additional tools to resolve livability and nuisance issues related to establishments that serve alcohol, implemented as part of Portland City Code (PCC)14B.120.

What is the purpose of the Time, Place, and Manner (TPM)?

What types of establishments are included?

Any OLCC licensed establishment that serves alcohol.

What types of nuisance activities are included?
• Operation of sound producing equipment, as prohibited by PCC 14A.30.020.
• Disorderly conduct (ORS 166.025)
• Offensive littering (ORS 164.805)
• Drinking on public rights-of-way, unless officially authorized (PCC 14A.50.010)
• Interference with vehicle ingress and egress (Portland City Code, Section 14A.50.035)
• Alcoholic beverage violations in parks, where violation is tied to specific licensee (PCC 20.12.040)
• Discharge of a Firearm at the establishment (PCC 14A.60.020)

What type of documentation is needed to substantiate a nuisance activity violation?
Documentation can include neighbor logs, pictures, video, 911 calls, police reports, and noise citations.

How Do I report nuisance activity violations?
Neighbors can file complaints against liquor licenses to multiple sources. Complaints can be filled out on the Internet at: http// under ‘Service Request’. If you are unable to access the Internet, you can also call any of the following programs to file a complaint:

  1. The Office of Neighborhood Involvement (ONI), Crime Prevention Coordinators (CPC) is located in district coalitions throughout the City of Portland (See list below).
  2. The ONI Liquor License Specialist (LLS) at (503) 823-3092.
  3. The Portland Police Bureau District Officers (PDO), or Senior Neighborhood Officers (SNO), or calling the Drugs and Vice Division License Investigators (DVD)
  4. The Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC) Licensing Unit at (503) 872-5000 or report via the Internet at

What information should be included in a nuisance activity report?

At a minimum, the following information should be provided for each complaint/nuisance activity report:
• Name of business involved;
• Address of business;
• Date of the incident;
• Name of complainant;
• Address of complainant;
• Type, time and duration of the nuisance activity;
• Location where nuisance activity occurred;
• Any previous communication or action taken by complainant or business;
• Description of individuals(s) involved in nuisance activity;
• Number of people involved in nuisance activity;
• Observations by complainant or other witnesses; and,
• Willingness of complainant to testify at a Code Hearings proceeding