CELs are experienced City of Portland-trained civic activists, fluent in English, who are available to assist City public involvement programs with interpretation and facilitation services. At the high end of the range, a CEL costs $79 per hour.
Many communities are represented in the CEL program:
- Arabic-speaking male and female community elder or activist
- English-speaking activist in our communities of Portlanders with disabilities, including ASL
- Karen-speaking Karen or Burmese elder or activist
- Nepali-speaking Bhutanese elder or activist
- Pan-Pacific Islander activist, Chuuk-speaking elder
- Pan-West African activist
- Russian-speaking Russian elder or activist
- Somali-speaking female and male elder or activist
- Spanish-speaking Mexican elders
- Thai-speaking elder
- Ukrainian-speaking Ukrainian elder or activist
- Zomi elder or activist, who also speaks Burmese
Everyone should have access to information on decisions that impact our community and the opportunity to engage in the City’s public involvement efforts. Early and meaningful public involvement is a key to compliance with our Civil Rights Title VI plan. If your outreach need is public participation; if your project goal includes engaging minority-language-speaking neighbors, please contact DePaul Industries to arrange for a CEL.
To schedule a CEL for your next public involvement event, contact Justin Law McQuiston, at DePaul Industries (City business partner) at 503-331-3809 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org