Tuesday, August 14, 2001

SUMMARY NOTES: Guidelines Review, Empowerment & Assessment Team, GREAT

City of Portland, Office of Neighborhood Involvement

Members present:
Nancy Chapin, Alliance of Portland Neighborhood Business Associations
Jeff Cogen, Office of Commissioner Saltzman
Cathy Crawford, University Park Neighborhood Association
Leonard Gard, Southwest Neighborhoods, Inc.
Raymond Hites, Lents Neighborhood Association
Brian Hoop, ONI, City of Portland
Joleen Jensen-Classen, ONI, City of Portland
David Lane, ONI, City of Portland
Moshe Lenske, Woodstock Neighborhood Association
Stanley Lewi,s Downtown Community Association
Jerry Powell, Goose Hollow Foothills League
Ruth Spetter, City Attorney's Office, City of Portland
William Warren, Central Northeast Neighbors

Members Absent:
Patricia Gardner, Pearl District Neighborhood Association
Rey Espana, Latino Network
Lanita Duke, Northeast Coalition of Neighborhoods
Mark Sieber, Neighbors West/Northwest

Visitors:
Karen Lehman PSU Student Intern, ONI Office

Decisions by this group are subject to change at future meetings.
Opportunities for public input at the end of meeting and future workshops.

I. Minutes Corrections for July 31

II. Providing public notice about meetings

Ideas discussed to insure awareness about meetings:
Make fliers to give to distribute at September NA meetings, Brian will do.
Do press release to media. Brian will do monthly.
Follow up with Oregonian and Tribune to do story. Brian will do.
Group voted to place an ad each month in Oregonian as public notice, including East Portland coverage.
Have staff mention guidelines at fall NA meeting presentations.
Will hold public hearings, some think public participation more likely at hearings than at regular morning meetings.


III. Issue of using sub-committees
William Warren motions that we use subcommittees that would be charged with taking small sections of the code and guidelines to analyze and prepare talking points to present to the full group. The sub-committee meetings would be in lieu of one of the regularly scheduled meetings. They might address:

History of the issue
Detailed analysis of sections of code and guidelines
Revisions and their pros and cons to consider
New ideas that could be added

Ray notes that several East neighborhood leaders would like to participate in discussions on specific issues but do not want to attend all meetings.
Patricia prefers all members participate in discussion. Believes full committee would re-hash all over again the issues that a sub-committee would deal with. Also concerned that we respect commitment to only two meetings per month. Cathy agrees.
Jerry notes that we need to be networking with other neighborhood leaders taking back issues discussed to our coalition boards, etc. on a regular basis.
Leonard suggests that subcommittees should be used on specific topics that will require a major amount of re-writing work.
Motion fails on a vote of 5 to 5. Group will continue to meet as a whole for now.

IV. Process issue: Should this group be dealing with large policy issues?
Leonard suggests this group should not be dealing with large policy issues and should first focus on guideline issues that can be more easily resolved. If complex policy issues come up we should flag it and move on or refer them to council.
Moshe notes that we can not avoid dealing with complex policy issues.
William says we need to look back to our charge from City Council. If we are a sub-committee for the Council then perhaps they need to deal with big policy issues.
Ruth reminds group Guidelines have been adopted by resolution but are required by code, which have been adopted by ordinance and have the force of law. A clear task for the group should be to help clarify the guidelines for its users, the neighborhood association leaders and staff.
David says we need to discuss further how much we want to merge the guidelines with the code. There may be advantages and disadvantages to having everything in code to gain credibility for the neighborhood system.

V. Additional comments for code language changes (grammar mistakes):

This Chapter sets out the basis for City recognition of neighborhood associations, district coalition boards, and alternative service delivery structures and the responsibilities and benefits accruing thereto. This chapter also sets out the basis for city acknowledgment of neighborhood business district associations and communities beyond neighborhood boundaries and the responsibilities accruing thereto. This chapter also creates the Office of Neighborhood Involvement and sets out its functions, duties and responsibilities. Nothing in this Chapter shall limit the right of any person or group to participate directly in the decision making process of the City Council or of any City agency.


The information contained in this document is preliminary and informal in nature and does not necessarily reflect the views or adopted policies of the City of Portland or the final outcomes of this project; the reader should exercise caution in its interpretation.