SE 2nd and SE 3rd Avenue Sewer Replacement and SE 6th Avenue and Alder Relief Structure: Project Update
November 21, 2013
Hello neighbors of the SE Alder sewer replacement project,
As you know, Environmental Services is currently working on two inner southeast Portland sewer projects to increase sewer capacity and reduce the potential for basement backups. One project will replace sewer pipes that are in poor condition on SE 2nd and 3rd avenues between Alder and Stark and restore the intersection of SE 3rd and Alder. The other will install an underground vault on SE Alder between SE 6th and Grand to store and divert sewage and stormwater during heavy rain storms to help prevent combined sewer overflows.
A project map and more information are available here: http://www.portlandoregon.gov/bes/article/447980.
Developments of Note and Construction Schedule
- Construction is nearly finished on SE 3rd between SE Alder and Washington.
- During the week of November 25, work is scheduled to begin on SE 2nd between SE Alder and Stark. Through-traffic will be permitted on SE 2nd, but vehicles should expect some delays.
- Work crews are also scheduled to return to the intersection of SE 3rd and SE Alder to complete some surface repairs in early December.
- Work on SE 6th and SE Alder is progressing as well. The around-the-clock road closure will remain in place, likely until the end of the year.
- Construction, including final paving and restoration, will last a maximum of five months.
What to Expect During construction
- Typical work hours are 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The contractor may schedule work during the same hours on Saturdays if necessary.
- There will be lane restrictions and closures with flaggers guiding traffic, including on some one-way streets temporarily opened to two-way traffic. We will work to accommodate business and delivery needs to the best of our ability.
- You will have access to your property during work hours, but you may be delayed entering or leaving your street or driveway.
- On-street parking in and near the work area is prohibited during work hours.
- Equipment and materials may be stored on nearby streets overnight.
- A city construction inspector is on-site during work hours, and may be able to assist you with construction concerns. Inspectors typically wear a safety vest and hard hat.
- You will have sewer service at all times, even when work is near your building.
For more information
Thank you for your interest in this important sewer project. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to email me at Rebecca.Tillson@portlandoregon.gov, or head to the project website at http://www.portlandoregon.gov/bes/article/447980. To be added to an email update list, email Becky with “SE 2nd, 3rd and Alder” in the subject line.
Thank you for your cooperation during this important sewer repair project. Please let us know if you have questions or concerns; we will be happy to work with you.
Community Outreach and Information
City of Portland Environmental Services
1120 SW 5th Ave, Room 1000, Portland, Oregon 97204
Phone: 503-823-2827 l Cell Phone: 803-823-6615
Working for clean rivers
Over one-third of Portland’s 2,500 miles of sewer pipes are more than 80 years old. Projects to replace or repair aging sewers are important for protecting water quality, public health and the environment Learn more at www.portlandoregon.gov/bes.