SE 2nd and SE 3rd Avenue Sewer Replacement and SE 6th Avenue and Alder Relief Structure: Project Update
December 19, 2013
Hello neighbors of the SE Alder sewer replacement project,
As you know, Environmental Services is currently working on two inner southeast Portland sewer projects to increase sewer capacity and reduce the potential for basement backups. One project will replace public sewer pipes that are in poor condition and over 80 years old on SE 2nd and 3rd avenues between Alder and Stark, as well as restore the intersection of SE 3rd and Alder. The other will install an underground vault on SE Alder between SE 6th and Grand to store and divert sewage and stormwater during heavy rain storms to help prevent combined sewer overflows into the Willamette River.
A project map and more information are available here: http://www.portlandoregon.gov/bes/article/447980.
Developments of Note and Construction Schedule
- Construction is complete along SE 3rd between SE Alder and Washington.
- Work is ongoing on SE 2nd between SE Alder and Washington. Next week, the week of December 22nd, crews will start working their way down SE 2nd toward Stark. Local traffic will be permitted on SE 2nd, but vehicles should expect some delays and plan alternate routes. Work is expected on these blocks into early February.
- Work crews are also working at the intersection of SE 3rd and SE Alder on some surface and curb repairs. Weather permitting, this should be completed in late January.
- Work on SE 6th and SE Alder is progressing as well. The around-the-clock road closure will likely remain in place until late January.
What to Expect During construction
- Typical work hours are 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The contractor may schedule work during the same hours on Saturdays if necessary.
- There will be lane restrictions and closures with flaggers guiding traffic, including on some one-way streets temporarily opened to two-way traffic. We will work to accommodate business and delivery needs to the best of our ability.
- You will have access to your property during work hours, but you may be delayed entering or leaving your street or driveway.
- On-street parking in and near the work area is prohibited during work hours.
- Equipment and materials may be stored on nearby streets overnight.
- A city construction inspector is on-site during work hours, and may be able to assist you with construction concerns. Inspectors typically wear a safety vest and hard hat.
- You will have sewer service at all times, even when work is near your building.
For more information
Thank you for your interest in this important sewer project. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to email me at Rebecca.Tillson@portlandoregon.gov, or head to the project website at http://www.portlandoregon.gov/bes/article/447980. To be added to an email update list, email Becky with “SE 2nd, 3rd and Alder” in the subject line.
Thank you for your cooperation during this important sewer repair project. Please let us know if you have questions or concerns; we will be happy to work with you.
Community Outreach and Information
City of Portland Environmental Services
1120 SW 5th Ave, Room 1000, Portland, Oregon 97204
Phone: 503-823-2827 l Cell Phone: 803-823-6615
Working for clean rivers
The Bureau of Environmental Services works with Portland residents and businesses to protect water quality, public health, and the environment through wastewater collection and treatment, sewer construction and maintenance, stormwater management, and stream and watershed restoration. Learn more at www.portlandoregon.gov/bes.