Inclusion Services provides accommodations for people with disabilities/special needs to allow everyone to take part in PP&R classes and activities that are in their chronological age group. Activities are done in an inclusive setting.
Steps for Inclusion Services
- First determine what activity you want to do and where you want to do it. PP&R has many activities at various Community Centers, SUN Community Schools, swim pools, and art programs to choose from. Each site has a catalog with the classes and activities that are available. Contact the site to request a catalog or pick one up in person.
- Once you know what you want to do, the next step is to register. When registering, let it be known that you will need accommodation. If you are unsure what to register for, contact the Inclusion team at 503-823-4328. We can give you some things to consider when choosing a class or facility for your activity.
- If you are interested in receiving a scholarship, contact the facility where your activity will take place. Scholarships are available to Portland residents only.
- Once registered, please call 503-823-4328. You will need a few minutes for a phone intake. The information from this intake will be used to make up an accommodation form. This form tells the inclusion team and instructor how best to work with the individual. At the end of the phone intake, it will be determined if an assistant will be needed to go to the first day of the activity in order to evaluate what accommodation may be needed.
- You will be sent a packet of information which includes an information form. This form reviews what we've discussed during the phone intake, but more in-depth. This also allows you the opportunity to add anything that you may have forgotten. Please fill this out and return it as soon as possible.
- We have a 10-working-day notification policy. In the summer this policy is extremely important. More people utilize our services during this time of the year. Staffing and availability of inclusion assistants can be limited. To provide the best services possible, we need the maximum amount of time to match up assistants and schedule them. If it's less than 5 days, we will do our best in accommodating the participant. The level of service that can be provided may be limited.
PERSONAL CARE POLICY
If a participant has a disability and requires assistance with personal care, PP&R staff will provide personal care assistance only for participants registered for activities designated as Preschool or Youth. PP&R will not provide personal care to participants registered for activities designated as Teen, Adult, Senior, Parent/Child, and Family. These older participants are encouraged to bring their own personal assistant to the activity (at no charge) to provide any necessary personal care. For more information about this policy, contact Christine Canham, firstname.lastname@example.org, 503-823-4328.