Jr Leader, grade 7-10
Welcome! SWCC has an amazing crew of 140+ Jr Leaders that volunteer in our youth programs and family events during the school year.
School Year Volunteer Information:
- Volunteer for Family Events! SWCC is recruiting volunteers to help with our family events throughout the year. Call 503-823-2849 to get signed up! Bigger events usually occur in October, January, February & April.
- Monster Mash is Saturday October 19th! Email today to sign up as a JL Volunteer!
- Sign up for a Jr Coach Clinic! Pick-up techniques for assisting with drills, encouraging players & modeling good sportsmanship and then volunteer as a Jr Coach in leagues, classes and sports camps! Prior completion of Jr Leader Training required. Clinics offered during Fall, Winter or Spring quarters.
Summer Volunteer Information:
- New Jr. Leaders - sign up for a Training Camp during Spring Break or the first 6 weeks of summer and we'll get you started!
- Returning Jr. Leaders - You are not required to complete the training a second time, though you are welcome to register if you would like. Returning JLs should download or pick up a scheduling request form and turn it into the front desk. We will schedule each JL for 40 hours of volunteer service over the summer - 2 weeks of morning (9am-1pm) or afternoon (1-5pm) shifts. After all JLs have been scheduled, there MAY be an opportunity for additional weeks, but due to the number of volunteers that need placed, we cannot make any guarantees.
- Resources: Interested in becoming staff one day? Looking for great ideas for games and activities? Visit Camp Counselor Corner to find out more!
|Jr Leader, Grade 7-10
|Looking for something to do this summer? Gain leadership & volunteer experience in a supervised environment that enhances self-esteem, promotes positive self-image & develops the spirit of volunteerism. Training provides skills to work with youth in a recreation setting where upon successful class completion, Jr. Leaders may be placed as volunteers in summer camps, classes & events at Portland Parks & Recreation sites.
|Day/Time: M-F, 1:30-4:30pm; 4 day week, 1-4:30pm weeks of 6/18 & 7/1.
||Location: Meet in SWCC Lobby. Jr Leaders use Poolside, Pool Sun Deck & Gabriel Park.
|Staff: Shannon Scorgie, Jr Leader Coordinator & Instructor
- Jr. Leaders should wear closed toed shoes, weather appropriate clothing, water bottle and sunscreen.
- Handbook is provided at first class.
- Jr. Leaders need to complete Emergency Form. Summer Schedule Request forms will go home with each volunteer mid-week. Please bring them back on Friday.
|Jr Leader - Jr Coach Clinic, Grade 7-10 *Prior completion of Jr Leader Training required.
Take your skills to new heights! Pick up techniques for assisting with drills, encouraging players & modeling good sportsmanship under the guidance of expert coaches. Enhance self-esteem, improve interpersonal skills & develop the spirit of volunteerism.
|Day/Time: 10am-4pm, offered alongside Kids Day Off or Break Camps.
||Location: Meet in Gym
- Jr Leaders should wear closed toed shoes, comfortable & kid appropriate clothing for being active in the gym and bring a jacket in case we go outside.
- Upon successful clinic completion, Jr. Leaders may be placed as a Jr. Coach volunteer in sports programs based at Portland Parks & Recreation sites.
- Jr Coaches can be placed with classes, league teams or camps as an assistant to the staff in charge.