Seasonal inventory help needed
Portland Parks & Recreation Urban Forestry is seeking seasonal staff to work with its science and policy group conducting tree inventory and monitoring activities.
Applications will be accepted until April 1, 2014.
Tree Inventory Volunteer Coordinator (2 positions)
- Conduct street tree inventory workshops with volunteers in Portland neighborhoods. This includes public speaking, training volunteers, organizing logistics, and checking data for accuracy.
- Collect street tree inventory data, including tree identification, measurement, and assessment using paper forms and mobile ArcGIS.
- Analyze data and write reports on inventory findings.
- Work schedule is Tuesday through Saturday from 7 am to 3:30 pm.
- Position runs from May 27 through November 14.
- Pay rate is $15/hour.
Tree Inventory Data Collector (1 position)
- Collect street tree inventory data, including tree identification, measurement, and assessment using mobile ArcGIS.
- Work with Urban Forestry staff to update the City’s inventory of private and public elm trees.
- Conduct field checks and data collection for a variety of monitoring projects as needed.
- The position will be predominately based in the field, with minimal time in the office.
- Work schedule is Monday through Friday from 7 am to 3:30 pm.
- Position runs from May 27 through October 15.
- Pay rate is $15/hour.
Required for All Positions:
- Must have a valid driver's license and acceptable driving record
- Must pass a criminal background check
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Tree identification skills, especially non-native trees
- Experience collecting and maintaining data, especially with mobile devices
- Experience with ArcGIS and Excel
- Writing and communication skills, including report writing, press releases, and public speaking
- Organization skills
- Experience working with volunteers
- Ability to work independently
- University coursework in forestry, GIS, botany, or related subjects
Additional information: For information on the street tree inventory project, visit http://portlandoregon.gov/parks/treeinventory
Application procedure: Applications accepted until April 1. Send resume, cover letter, and list of three references via email to Angie DiSalvo, Botanic Specialist, email@example.com 503-823-4484. Please specify which position(s) you are applying for in your cover letter. Candidates selected for interviews will be notified by April 6.
Join the organizing effort in Boise, Cully, Eliot, Foster-Powell, Kerns, Laurelhurst, S. Tabor, Sullivan's Gulch, and W. Portland Park!
PP&R Urban Forestry is pleased to announce the neighborhoods selected for street tree inventories in 2014:
- South Tabor
- Sullivan's Gulch
- West Portland Park
Conducting an inventory and creating a neighborhood tree plan are ambitious projects that require the help and commitment of a group to be successful. If you live in an inventory neighborhood, join the inventory effort! Tree teams are seeking help planning work days, securing inventory locations, and recruiting volunteers.
Organizer Planning Workshop
Saturday, March 8
9 am to noon
SE Uplift at 3534 SE Main St.
Register at http://tinyurl.com/treeinventory2014
All persons who will be assisting with organizing the tree inventory are encouraged to attend.This planning session will cover inventory logistics, volunteer recruitment, planning tools, and responsibilities of your group and PP&R.
Please bring the following items with you to the March 8 planning workshop:
- Neighborhood calendar. In order to prevent conflicts with major neighborhood events, please research annual community events that occur each summer and bring a list with you. Inventory work days will be scheduled on Saturdays from 8:30 am to noon between June 21 and September 28. Each neighborhood will select 3-4 inventory work days.
- A list of possible staging sites for inventory workshops within your community.
- Ideas for volunteer recruitment in your community.
2014 Inventory Timeline
March 8, 2014: Inventory planning workshop for organizers
May - June 2014: Volunteer recruitment and Team Leader Training on inventory protocol
June - September 2014: Inventory conducted during 3-4 work days
October 2014: Data compilation and analysis
November 2014: Inventory results presented at Tree Inventory Summit and Tree Plans drafted
2015: Ongoing tree team meetings and activities to meet Tree Plan goals.
For more information:
PP&R Urban Forestry, Angie DiSalvo 503-823-4484
We've wrapped up the 2013 inventory, and complete results, analysis, and recommendations are available! To learn more about the 2013 or about applying for a neighborhood inventory in 2014, you can read the 2013 Tree Inventory Project press release here.
Applications are due January 15, 2014
Urban Forestry is now accepting neighborhood applications for the 2014 Street Tree Inventory. The street tree inventory is a great way to learn about what trees exist in your neighborhood, the health of those trees, and the benefits they provide. It also provides opportunities to meet others who are passionate about trees.
Click here for more information and the application. Applications are due January 15.
View the inventory reports for Arbor Lodge, Brooklyn, Cathedral Park, Downtown, Piedmont, Portsmouth, Richmond, and Woodstock
The street tree inventories are complete for the 8 neighborhoods that have participated in the project in 2013. Click here to read the reports. Analysis includes tree compostion, size, health, and benefits.