Phone: 503-823-PLAY (7529)
1120 SW Fifth Ave., Suite 1302, Portland, OR 97204
Portland Parks & Recreation (PP&R) is currently managing the River View Natural Area (RVNA) to stabilize the site and control the growth of invasive species. PP&R will work with a consultant team, a technical advisory committee, and a project advisory committee (PAC) to create a Management Plan that will protect and enhance the natural resources of the RVNA by:
Portland Parks & Recreation, Bureau of Environmental Services, Metro, Trust for Public Lands
Project Advisory Committee
Brian Baumann, Adam Clinton Baylor, Sarah Bice, Corrina Chase, Michel George, Michael Karnosh, Marci Krass, Fran Laird, Steve Manton, Chris Sautter, Jennifer Seamans, Chad Sorber, Charlie Sponsel, Mauricio Villarreal, Jay Withgott
Emily Roth, Natural Resource Planner
Public Involvement Coordinator
Maija Spencer, Program Specialist
August - September 2013 (Relevant Information)
October - December 2013 (Identify Goals, Opportunities & Constraints)
October 2013 - January 2014 (Site Analysis)
February - July 2014 (Draft Concept Plan)
August - November 2014 (Draft Management Plan)
December 2014 (Finalized Management Plan)
The City/Consultant team is continuing to work on the many plan components and needs more time to critically look at habitat protection, trail placement, and access/parking since hearing from the Project Advisory Committee in January and the Collins View Neighborhood Association in February.
The City/Consultant Team will continue to:
The River View Natural Area (RVNA) is a 146-acre forested parcel connecting Forest Park to the north, Tryon State Natural Area to the south, and the Willamette River to the east. It is nestled between SW Macadam Ave and SW Terwilliger Blvd in southwest Portland. The RVNA has significant ecological value; 7 streams, 130 plant species, 31 mammal species, and 74 avian species have been documented at this site. It comprises about half of the forest canopy in the 350-acre River View Subwatershed of the Lower Willamette Watershed.
Under private ownership until 2011, the RVNA was logged in the 1800s and 1950s and subjected to vegetative neglect over the next 60 years. In July 2011, the City of Portland, in partnership with Metro and Trust for Public Land, acquired the property. It is one of the largest single natural area acquisitions in the City’s history.