Court-Ordered Community Service
**** July Sunday Parkways: all slots are full. *****
Sign up for August Sunday Parkways or the Washington Park Concert Series
Are you looking for opportunities to fulfill court-ordered community service?
Portland Parks & Recreation has many opportunities that will comply with court requirements, beautify our parks, benefit the community, and help reduce or dismiss your charge or fine.
Please follow these steps for a successful completion of your court-ordered community service:
NOTE: Unless there is a SPECIAL EVENT or need that we are recruiting for, we DO NOT have afternoon shifts or 8 hour shifts on Saturdays and Sundays. To sign up for a special event, complete this Registration Form AND the Special Events Request Form.
FIRST TIME ONLINE USERS:
- Check the CALENDAR for dates and times to accommodate your schedule. The boxes at the bottom of the page indicate shift start/end times. View the list of observed HOLIDAYS.
- Complete the APPLICATION. (The APPLICATION is available in Microsoft WORD). Save a copy of the file on your computer to upload with your registration (Step 3). Print a copy for your information.
- REGISTER for the program (you must have your paperwork handy in order to provide your case number and return to court date).
- Upload your APPLICATION (with your registration) for approval. Allow at least three (3) business days (Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM, excluding holidays) for a response.
- Day of work: BRING YOUR EMAIL APPROVAL with you. Report to the site manager, with a good attitude, ready to work, with your own water, and wearing the APPROPRIATE ATTIRE. If your shift is more than 4 hours, bring your own lunch. You must stay onsite the entire shift to receive credit. Unless otherwise specified, you are performing light landscaping duties in the outdoors.
- Your hours will be reported to the Volunteer Services office, where your timesheet will be generated. Depending on the type of court and court location, you may be required to pick up your timesheet on the day of court. Call 503-823-5553 at least three (3) business days prior to your court date to ensure your timesheet is completed.
NEED TO RESCHEDULE?
You do not need to re-register, but you must complete a new APPLICATION to send by email to CourtVols@portlandoregon.gov. Remember, three cancellations, rescheduled work dates, or no-shows will result in termination of your participation in the program.
- You must use our online program to sign up and schedule your work.
- You must be registered prior to reporting to work.
- You must be registered and approved for the day you show up to work. Take your email confirmation with you.
- Notes about shifts:
- When viewing the calendar, please note the start time listed at the bottom of the calendar page. Your shift start time must be the same as the shift start time. No early birds or late start times.
- Minimum shift length is 2 hours.
- Maximum shift length:
- Washington Park - 8 hours;
- Peninsula Park - 6 to 7 hours;
- Mt. Tabor - 4 to 6 hours.
- Shifts must be whole hours, credit will not be given for partial hours.
- Do not approach Parks field staff or community center staff to schedule or offer to work. In order to receive credit for your work, you must coordinate your community service with PP&R Volunteer Services.
- Three cancellations, reschedules, or no shows will result in termination.
- There is no work on HOLIDAYS, and weekend shifts may be cancelled due to the holiday. Check the Calendar for current info.
NOTES ABOUT SPECIAL EVENTS:
Occasionally, Portland Parks & Recreation recruits for special events. Because these are family events, criminal background checks are conducted on all volunteers. Therefore, the REGISTRATION form and the SPECIAL EVENTS REQUEST form must be completed and submitted. Allow at least 3 business days for processing. Placements are on a first-come, first-served, as needed basis, and dependent on the outcome of the criminal background check. Volunteers who are not registered, have not completed the special events form or have not been approved, will be turned away. Credit will not be awarded for unauthorized work.