Phone: 503-823-PLAY (7529)
1120 SW Fifth Ave., Suite 1302, Portland, OR 97204
Overview of Beech Park
Beech Park will be 15.7 acres of neighborhood park adjacent to Shaver Elementary School between NE Fremont St. and NE Shaver St. The Master Planning process in 2008 outlined some important features including a community garden, soccer field, high intensity sports area, fenced off-leash dog area, grassy open space, children’s play area, water play area and picnic areas.
Parks Naming Committee
A Naming Committee will be selected to convene in October/November 2015 to review recommendations of park names from the public. The Naming Committee will make recommendations to the Parks Director and Commissioner for their decision. Below are the documents to review to submit a name. The deadline to submit a name is October 23, 2015.
Design and construction of a new park on 16 acres of open space in outer northeast Portland between Shaver and Fremont in the Parkrose/Argay neighborhoods
Britta Herwig, Britta.Herwig@portlandoregon.gov
Public Involvement Coordinator
Hun Taing, Hun.Taing@portlandoregon.gov
RFP for Design is issued
Hire Design Team
October 2014 - January 2016
Complete Design and Public Involvement Process
February 2016 - June 2017
Beech Park consists of two parcels that are adjacent to single-family residences, working farmlands, and Shaver Elementary School. Located in outer northeast Portland between Shaver and Fremont, the site has a long history of being farmed, and is currently a gently sloping open grassy field with grand views of the Columbia River floodplain.
During 2008/2009 Portland Parks & Recreation, in collaboration with local residents and a Public Advisory Committee, developed a park master plan. The design of the park will preserve views, reflect the farming history and context, manage storm water on site, and provide buffers from adjacent land uses. The north parcel (5.64 acres) of the site will act as a neighborhood park and features a children’s playground, a gathering space, a parking area, and a fenced dog off-leash area. The south parcel (10.07 acres) will incorporate more active and passive open space uses including a shelter, a full-size sports field, display and community gardens, picnic areas, parking, natural play, and an area of high intensity sports. In addition, a multi-use paved trail loops around the entire site, and public art and bilingual interpretive signage will be incorporated into key areas such as the unique center point where the two parcels connect.