We assign community garden plots to new gardeners March through August. Garden plots are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. If no plots are available in the garden(s) you select, you will be put on a wait list and notified when one becomes available.
1) Select your interest in one or two garden sites.
2) Choose a plot size.
- ADA Accessible Raised Bed = $20
- Starter Plot (50 sq ft) = $12
- Single Plot (100 sq ft) = $25
- Standard Plot (200 sq ft) = $50
- Double Plot (400 sq ft) = $100
A starter or single-sized plot is recommended for beginning gardeners and/or families of 1-2 people. Standard-sized plots are good for families of 2-3 people, and double-sized plots are more appropriate for large families or groups and experienced gardeners. Scholarship assistance is available. If you would like to donate to the scholarship fund, you may do so through the Portland Parks Foundation website.
3) Fill out the Garden Plot Request Form. We will confirm your interest via email or phone in January or February.
4) Agree to the Community Garden Policies & Procedures.
5) Once you are assigned a plot, attend a gardener gathering and orientation.
Each spring, we offer an orientation at each community garden site. Although it is not required, we highly encourage new gardeners to attend one of these events. Gardeners will have the opportunity to meet fellow community gardeners, garden managers, and program staff. This is also a great time to share resources, ask questions, and create a sense of community within the garden. Gardeners are welcome at any location if they are unable to attend the orientation at their assigned garden.
In the meantime you can like us on Facebook and check out our calendar for volunteer opportunities. You could also get involved with our nonprofit volunteer partner, Friends of Portland Community Gardens, to stay connected with Portland's community gardens in a way that helps to fund more community gardens in Portland.