In 2013 Urban Forestry will be completing tree inventories and tree plans in eight neighborhoods! This is a monumental undertaking and we need many volunteers to help us collect and process data on an estimated 30,000 street trees. We need volunteers to help fill the following roles:
1. Help collect data during an inventory work day
Volunteers are needed to help collect data on Thursdays and Saturdays from June through September. Work days occur from 8:30 am to noon. No experience is necessary, as novice volunteers will be paired with a team leader to identify trees and explain the inventory protocol. Duties include measuring trees, recording data on trees and the site, and mapping trees. Advanced registration via the website is requested.
2. Be an inventory Team Leader
Team Leaders are needed to lead inventory collection routes during work days. This position requires some knowledge of tree identification, attendance at one training session, and commitment to participate in at least three inventory work days. Becoming a Team Leader is an excellent opportunity to improve your tree identification skills and learn more about assessing tree health and site conditions. Please register for Team Leader Training and individual inventory work days via links posted on the work day list or on the inventory calendar. View the training guide here.
Team Leaders should attend one of the following training dates. Pre-registration is required:
- Thursday, June 13 8:30 am - noon at Charles Jordon Community Center (9009 N. Foss St.) Register Here
- Thursday, June 13 1:00 pm - 4:30 pm at Charles Jordon Community Center (9009 N. Foss St.) Register Here
- Saturday, June 15 8:30 am - noon at SE Uplift (3534 SE Main St.) Register Here
- Saturday, June 15 1 - 4:30 pm at SE Uplift (3534 SE Main St.) Register Here
3. Enter Data into ArcGIS
Join Urban Forestry staff at our office in Delta Park to enter inventory data into an ArcGIS database. No experience is necessary - staff will teach you the basics of ArcGIS editing. Shifts are available Monday - Friday from 7 am - 3:30 pm. A 30 hour minimum commitment is requested. Volunteers must attend one of three training training sessions (6/25 1-4 pm, 6/26 8:30 - 11:30 am, or 6/28 8:30 - 11:30 am) and register here.
Data entry volunteers should attend one of the following training dates. Pre-registration is required:
- Tuesday, June 18 1 - 4 pm at the Portland Building, 13th Floor, Springwater Conference Room (1120 SW 5th Ave.) Register Here
- Wednesday, June 19 8:30 -11:30 am at the Portland Building, 13th Floor, Springwater Conference Room (1120 SW 5th Ave.) Register Here
- Friday, June 28 8:30 - 11:30 am at the Portland Building, 13th Floor, Springwater Conference Room (1120 SW 5th Ave.) Register Here
4. If you are an arborist, be an Arborist-on-Call during an inventory work day
If you are a professional arborist with excellent tree identification skills, volunteer to be an Arborist-on-Call during an inventory work day. Arborists-on-Call check in with inventory teams to problem solve and answer questions about tree identification, condition assessment, high voltage wire recognition, and other questions that may arise. Volunteers will need a cell phone and bike or car. Advance registration is required and a training guide is provided.
- Contact us for more information.
5. If you live in an inventory neighborhood, join your community’s Tree Team
In addition to collecting tree data, Tree Teams in each neighborhood are responsible for securing locations, advertising, and recruiting volunteers. After inventories are complete, they will also work with their communities to create neighborhood tree plans to steward the neighborhood’s tree canopy. If you live in one of the neighborhoods and are looking for a long term commitment to improve your neighborhood’s urban forest, joining the Tree Team may be for you.
- Contact us for more information.