This is a sample schedule and syllabus for 2013. Check back later for the 2014 schedule and syllabus.
Class dates, times, and topics:
1. Day 1 - Tree Steward Introduction
Tuesday, September 17th 6:00 – 8:30 p.m.
- Meet the Tree Steward Coalition
- Syllabus Overview and Goals
- Stories from Seasoned Tree Stewards
2. Day 2 - General Tree Biology & Identification
Saturday, September 21st 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- General Tree Biology
- Tips and Tricks to Tree ID – in class
- Tree Identification Walk
3. Day 3 – Urban Tree Care & Maintenance
Saturday, September 28th 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- CODIT & Pruning – in class
- Common Tree Pathogens and Pests
- Hands-on Tree Pruning
4. Day 4 – Trees in the City of Portland
Tuesday, October 1st 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
- Utilities & Trees
- Urban Forestry: Managing the Urban Forest
- How the City that Works: Works for Trees
5. Day 5 – NTS Projects & Local Tree Care Organizations
Saturday, October 5th 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Volunteer Opportunities: Panel
- Essentials of Project Management
- Tree Knowledge Challenge – Scavenger Hunt
6. Day 6 – The Value of Urban Trees
Tuesday, October 8th 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
- Social Benefits of Trees
- Economic Benefits of Trees
- Tree Knowledge Challenge - Scavenger Hunt (Winners Revealed)
7. Day 7 – Work day, Graduation, and Party
Saturday, October 19th 9:00 a.m. 2:00 p.m.
- Pruning / Mulching –Work Party
- Celebration Party & Pizza
Classes will meet at multiple locations through the city in order to showcase different areas ofPortland’s urban forest. All locations will be accessible by public transportation. Location details will be emailed to all participants by the end of August.