September: National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month
September has been my favorite month of the year for as long as I can remember. I love the unpredictable weather that brings in the fall colors, I get to celebrate my wedding anniversery, looking back over our summer program and realizing just how many kids, families and patrons we were able to serve makes my heart happy & best of all - it's vacation time! This year, I have one more great thing to celebrate - healthy kids!
I am a mom of a 2 and 4 year old. Dispite my best efforts they both crave goldfish crackers, fruit snacks, jelly beans and marshmallows. As I watch my daughter pop handfuls of crispy, salty, fun-shaped carbs into her little mouth I wonder how she can so easily navigate around the raisins and the multi-grain cereal also in the cup. My son did a primal yelp and fist pump over a small bag of cheese puffs his aunt gave him this weekend. After dinner he picked this 'treat' for dessert while I dished up sliced apples and greek yogurt for mine. Three puffs in he stops. "Mama, I have an idea. I will give you my dessert and then I can have yours." My faith in my parenting skill swoops back in with this tiny victory.
It's a tough job looking out for the kids in our lives - family members, students, friends and/or participants. As we all struggle together to win the battle of Broccoli vs The Great Gummy Bear I am glad to see the health and wellness of our children get the spotlight during this beautiful month. The time is now! Make a list, talk with your kids, sign up for a class, or just go for a walk. Take a minute to take a small action... and hope it will lead to a bigger victory down the road.
Find Out More About Childhood Obesity:
- Healthfinder.gov, managed by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Center for Disease Control & Prevention
- President's Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition
- The American College of Sports Medicine
- Let's Move
- U.S. Department of Agriculture
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Get Out & Play at SWCC!
SWCC has fitness and fun waiting at the ready for the young, and the young at heart. We have a bushel of brand new programs and classes that can help break a sweat, bust a move, stretch our bodies or test our limits. Look for the Jump Start Icon by the activities in our catalog and know that each program is designed to inspire even the youngest children to eat well, learn about their bodies or be active!
- Super Sidekicks parent and child workout class
- Preschooler Pixie Playland imaginative gym play perfect for plucky pirates and flitting fairies alike
- Saturday dance classes for ages 4-13: tap, jazz, funk, hip-hop
- First Time Skateboard Clinics & Private Lessons
- Theatre Improve for ages 9 & up (even adults!)
- Drum Lessons
- Women's Drop-in Basketball on Sundays from 3-4pm
- Open Kayak schedule in the pool
- Find out more about our classes!