Questions? Email us! email@example.com
Text us: 503-823-1149 (Chrissy) or 503-823-6378 (Kelly)
Minimum Donation amounts: Small = $25; Medium = $35; Large = $45
JUMP TO SALES LOCATIONS
JUMP TO HAND-MADE WREATH CLASS INFO
Help end "wreath-less-ness!" Decorate your door with a Winter Wreath through City Nature Environmental Education!
Help us celebrate our 25th year of raising money to give children access to nature!!!
Our annual wreath fundraiser supports the Summer Nature Day Camp program and our Children's Nature Classes, where we strive to connect children to the natural beauty & ecology of Portland’s parks. At City Nature Environmental Education, we believe that connecting children to a park when they are young helps them care about parks as they get older.
Unfortunately, not all children can afford the cost of camp and classes, so we raise money through our wreath fundraiser each December. Profits from wreath sales are used to give children access to nature through environmental education programming. Lowering costs of classes and partnering with organizations in underserved neighborhoods helps make education in and about Portland's Natural Areas more accessible. One-third of our profits are used to subsidize our nature classes, and the remaining amount helps send children to a week of Nature Day Camp on a 95% scholarship. We help families by providing bus transportation, water and snacks.
Last year... 25 students from the Ortiz Family Center in NE Portland (Cully Neighborhood) came to camp!
Profits from the 2013 Wreath Sale helped to fund the following:
- 5 days of bussing from the Cully Neighborhoods to the Nature Day Camp site (Columbia Children’s Arboretum)
- 12 highly-trained (and super fun!) environmental educators in a camper-to-staff ratio of 4:1. Most staff were bilingual.
- All camp supplies used to teach about our local ecology and do nature crafts
- Water bottles and snacks as needed
This year... Take a Look at the Fundraising Goal for 2014!
This year's goal has two parts - 1.) To help subsidize our Lil Nature Kids program to make it more accessible to families throughout Portland and 2.) To help send another 25 children from the Ortiz Center to Nature Day Camp in the Summer of 2015.
- Our Lil Nature Kids program matches highly trained preschool naturalists with small groups of preschoolers to learn about Pacific NW plants and animals in our parks and natural areas. Profits from the wreath fundraiser will bring the cost of a class down by 15%.
- Sending a child to camp through a partnership costs $240 - we provide bussing, staff, teaching materials, water and snacks. Our goal is the same as last year - to fund 25 children at a 95% scholarship.
To make this happen, we need to raise $13,000 - and YOU can help!
Here's how to get involved:
- Spread the word! Tell your friends about the sale - word of mouth is powerful! Share on Facebook, tweet and email to help make this the best year yet!
- Volunteer to make wreaths for a morning or afternoon (or both!) between Sunday, November 30 - Sunday, December 14. Wreath-making takes place at one of the greenhouses at Mt Tabor Yard (6437 SE Division St) between the hours of 10am and 3pm. We suggest at least a 3 hr shift so you have time to learn the ropes! No experience necessary - we'll teach you! Contact Chrissy Larson or call 503-823-3601 to sign up.
- Register for a Wreath-making class and learn to make a hand-wrapped wreath from scratch! No experience necessary - all instruction & materials included.
- Make a tax-deductible credit card donation by calling the Environmental Education office at 503-823-3601 or mailing a check to the following address: Attn: Wreaths, Environmental Ed, 2909 SW 2nd Ave, Portland OR 97201. Cash donations must be made in person. We will provide you with a receipt. (Wreath sales are not tax-deductible.)
- Buy a Winter Wreath at one of our wreath sale venues! (Minimum Donations: small wreath = $25, medium wreath = $35, large wreath = $45)
- Mt Tabor Yard (6437 SE Division): Monday, Dec 1 - Monday, Dec 15 (10am-3:30pm every day) - BIGGEST SELECTION
- Portland Building Customer Service Center (1120 SW 5th Ave): Monday, Dec 1 - Monday, Dec 15 (during business hours: Mon-Fri, 8:30am-5pm)
- Hoyt Arboretum Visitor’s Center (4000 SW Fairview Blvd): Monday, Dec 1 - Monday, Dec 15 (during business hours: M-F 9am-4pm, Sat-Sun 11am-3pm.)OTHER SALE LOCATIONS
- Planning & Sustainability's "1900 Building" (1900 SW 4th Ave.): Tue, Dec 2 & Tue, Dec 9 from 3pm - 4:30pm
- Wastewater Treatment Plant (5001 N Columbia Blvd in the Admin Bldg): Thursday, Dec 4 from 11:30am - 1:30pm
- Southwest Community Center (6820 SW 45th Ave): Saturday, Dec 6 from 10am - 2pm
- Sellwood Community Center's Snowflakes in Sellwood Holiday Bazaar: Sat, Dec 6 from 9am - 4pm and Sun, Dec 7 from 10am to 3pm
- Matt Dishman Community Center (77 NE Knott St.): Friday, Dec 12 from 11am - 1pm
Nurture your creative side, learn a new skill, and decorate your home at the same time! Create a DIY winter wreath to display for the holidays through City Nature Environmental Education. We offer a diversity of greens, individualized instruction, and the time and space to finish your project. Fee includes cost of greens, paddle-wire, rings, ribbon, decorative items, and instruction.
All classes begin at 9:30am. Individual wreath making times may vary - 4 hours is about average for these hand-wrapped wreaths. PLEASE BRING LUNCH! Classes are held in the greenhouse at the PP&R's Mt Tabor Yard located at 6437 SE Division. Enter using the driveway and follow signs through the alley to the wreath greenhouse. All classes are $42 for Portland residents and $58 for non-residents. Call 503-823-1149 with questions.
All proceeds help those with limited opportunities attend PP&R's Environmental Education nature programs!
|Sunday, November 30||1021182|
|Friday, December 5||1021183|
|Saturday, December 6||1021184|
|Sunday, December 7||1021185|
How to Register for Classes:
ONLINE - click on the barcode and it will take you to the registration page.
PHONE - call the Customer Service Center at 503-823-2525.
IN PERSON at your local community center!