Questions? Email us! firstname.lastname@example.org
Text us: 503-823-1149
WREATH SALES WILL BE EXTENDED INTO THE WEEK OF DECEMBER 16 - 20
AT THE HOYT ARBORETUM AND PORTLAND BUILDING!
Frosty mornings, cozy nights, and holly berries are upon us. It can only mean one thing - it’s almost time to buy a Winter Wreath through City Nature Environmental Education!
Why? Because our annual wreath fundraiser supports our Summer Nature Day Camp program, where we strive to connect children to the natural beauty & ecology of Portland’s parks. At City Nature Environmental Education, we believe that connecting children to a park when they are young helps them care about parks as they get older.
Unfortunately, not all children can afford the cost of camp, so we raise money through our wreath fundraiser each December. All profits are used to bring children with very little access to nature to a week of Nature Day Camp. Partnering with schools and organizations helps us reach children in underserved neighborhoods. Sending a child to a week of camp costs $240 - we provide buses, water bottles, snacks, and the staff.
Last year, we gave 32 children a Nature Camp experience they would not have had otherwise!
We partnered with Alice Ott School in SE Portland (Powellhurst-Gilbert Neighborhood) and the Ortiz Family Center in NE Portland (Cully Neighborhood) to help register and organize groups of children ages 5-12. Profits from the 2012 Wreath Sale helped to fund the following:
- 10 days of busing from the children’s neighborhoods to the park sites (Powell Butte Nature Park and Columbia Children’s Arboretum)
- 14 highly-trained (and super fun!) environmental educators in a camper-to-staff ratio of 4:1. Most staff are bilingual.
- All camp supplies used to teach about our local ecology and do nature crafts
- Water bottles and healthy morning and afternoon snacks for every camper and lunch if it was needed
2013 Fundraiser Goal
Our goal is to send 36 kids to camp free of charge. That is 1,080 contact hours with nature! To make this happen, we need to raise $13,850. For every $240 raised above this number, we will send an additional child to camp.
You can help! 5 great ways to get involved:
- Spread the word! Tell your friends about the sale - word of mouth is so powerful! Facebook, tweet and email to help make this the best year yet!
- Volunteer to make wreaths for a morning or afternoon (or both!) between Sunday, December 1-Thursday, December 12. Wreath-making takes place at one of the greenhouses at Mt Tabor Yard (6437 SE Division St) between the hours of 10am and 3pm. We suggest at least a 2-3 hr shift so you have time to learn the ropes! No experience necessary - we'll teach you! Contact Chrissy Larson or call 503-823-3601 to sign up.
- Register for a Wreath-making class and learn to make a hand-wrapped wreath from scratch! No experience necessary.
- Make a tax-deductable credit card donation by calling the Environmental Education office at 503-823-3601 or mailing a check to the following address: Attn: Wreaths, Environmental Ed, 2909 SW 2nd Ave, Portland OR 97201. Cash donations must be made in person. We will provide you with a receipt. (Wreath sales are not tax-deductable.)
- Buy a Winter Wreath (minimum donation of $25) at one of our wreath sale venues!
MAIN SALE LOCATIONS:
OTHER SALE LOCATIONS:
- Mt Tabor Yard (6437 SE Division): Sunday, Dec 1-Friday, Dec 13 (10am-3pm every day) - BIGGEST SELECTION
- Portland Building Customer Service Center (1120 SW 5th Ave): Monday, Dec 2-Friday, Dec 13 (during business hours: Mon-Fri, 8:30am-5pm)
- Hoyt Arboretum Visitor’s Center (4000 SW Fairview Blvd): Monday, Dec 2-Friday, Dec 13 (during business hours: Mon-Sat, 10am-3pm)
- Sellwood Bazaar (Sellwood Community Center 1436 SE Spokane): Sunday, Dec 1 from 10am - 3pm
- Planning & Sustainability 's "1900 Building" (1900 SW 4th Ave.): Tue, Dec 3 & Thur, Dec 12 from 3pm - 4:30pm
- Water Pollution Control Lab (6543 N Burlington Ave): Thursday December 5, 12:30-1:30pm
- Wastewater Treatment Plant (5001 N Columbia Blvd): Thur, Dec 5, 2pm-3pm & Thur, Dec 12, 11:30am-1:30pm
- Southwest Community Center (6820 SW 45th Ave) Saturday, Dec 7 from 10am - 2pm
- Metro Regional Center (600 NE Grand Ave.) Fri, Dec 6 from 10:30am - 1pm & Mon, Dec 9 from 11:30am - 1:30pm
- CANCELLED: Director Park (SW Park and Yamhill): Tuesday, Dec 10 from 11:30am - 1:30pm
- Matt Dishman Community Center (77 NE Knott St.): Friday, Dec 13 from 11am - 1pm
Nurture your creative side, learn a new skill, and decorate your home at the same time! Create a DIY winter wreath to display for the holidays through City Nature Environmental Education. We offer a diversity of greens, individualized instruction, and the time and space to finish your project. Fee includes cost of greens, paddle-wire, rings, ribbon, decorative items, and instruction.
All classes begin at 10am. Individual wreath making times may vary - 4 hours is about average. PLEASE BRING LUNCH! Classes are held in the greenhouse at the PP&R's Mt Tabor Yard located at 6437 SE Division. Enter using the driveway and follow signs through the alley to the wreath greenhouse. All classes are $40 for Portland residents and $56 for non-residents. Call 503-823-1149 with questions.
All proceeds help those with limited opportunities attend PP&R's Environmental Education nature programs!
|Sunday, December 1||418609|
|Friday, December 6||418610|
|Saturday, December 7||418611|
|Sunday, December 8||418612|
How to Register for Classes:
ONLINE - click on the barcode and it will take you to the registration page.
PHONE - call the Customer Service Center at 503-823-2525.
IN PERSON at your local community center!