Andrew Ehrlich, Program Director
July 6 - 18, 2015
Register now for Chamber Groups or Chamber Orchestra by calling 503-823-3177.
These two programs together make a great day-camp experience!
Download the Summer Program Brochure (PDF)
|Chamber Groups||Chamber Orchestra: Baroque Rules!|
|Play trios, quartets or other works for strings, winds & piano with peers! CMC’s Chamber music serves the musical development of young musicians by refining ensemble skills & interpretive abilities through instruction with some of the region’s top performing-artist instructors. Players are placed into chamber groups by audition (see below). Ensembles have one hour each day with their coach, then rehearse a second hour supervised by an intern coach. All groups perform their finished work at the end of the program.||When are ‘fast’ notes played slowly, and ‘slow’ notes played quickly? Are all notes that look the same treated the same? Get into the minds of composers like Bach, Telemann & Vivaldi, and discover new takes on old rules while playing masterpieces of the era. The orchestra is open to students who have achieved the level of repertoire in Suzuki Book 4 and above.|
|Andrew Ehrlich (program director): BA Yale University; MM (violin performance) Illinois State University. Student of Bernard Eichen. Concertmaster: Portland Chamber Orchestra. Director of CMC Chamber Music Program since 2004.Michelle Rahn: DMA Boston University, MM Boston University, BM University of Oregon. Faculty at ICMC Positano, Italy, Faculty at Youth and Muse Festival Boston, MA. Local Freelancer.Katherine Schultz; BM Northwestern University, MM Rice University, Principal of Portland Chamber Orchestra, Asst. Principal of Oregon Ballet Theatre, Portland Opera Orchestra, Faculty at Concordia UniversityVisiting international guest artists for master classes are provided by Chamber Music Northwest as available.||Andrew Ehrlich, conductor: BA Yale University; MM (violin performance) Illinois State University. Student of Bernard Eichen. Concertmaster: Portland Chamber Orchestra. Director of CMC Chamber Music Program since 2004.|
How to Apply
- Call the CMC office at 503-823-3177 to reserve an audition time (Auditions June 1, 5, & 6)
- Deadline to enroll: Saturday, June 6, 2015.
- Registration forms and audition information also available at communitymusiccenter.org
- This program is designed for intermediate to advanced players.
- Payment is required to schedule an audition time.
- There will be no refund of fees except for students not placed in a group.
- 100% attendance required for full two weeks plus final concert.
- June 1, 3:00 - 7:00 pm
- June 5, 3:00 - 7:00 pm
- June 6, 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Auditions are 15 min. appointments each to guide the program director in assigning peer groups and repertoire. Call to CMC to schedule a time, and bring a prepared piece and two scales of your own choice.
PROGRAM DATES & TIMES
Monday, July 6 - Friday, July 17
- Chamber: 11:00 - 1:00 pm
- Orchestra: 1:30 - 3:00 pm
- Concert on Saturday, July 18, 2:00 pm
$275 (Portland residents) / $385 (non-residents)
Violists and Cellists receive a 20% discount
- $85 (Portland residents) / $119 (non-residents)
- 20% off for those participating in chamber music.
Need-based scholarships are available.
What People are Saying
- "This is a FABULOUS program! My sons gained so much confidence and were just jubilant after rehearsals."
- "My children enjoy making music on their own but they LOVE what they can create by playing with others."
- "CMC’s instructors instilled confidence in my son. He learned about chamber music & had a defining musical experience performing with the peers in his group."
- "The coach was superb and brought such a perfect blend of fun, laughter, and delightful learning to the classroom each day."