Funds, Supplies, and Assistance for Neighborhood Tree Stewards and Tree Teams
PP&R Urban Forestry offers financial and in-kind support for tree stewardship events organized by our established volunteers. Let us help you succeed! Our staff can assist with your tree stewardship event, whether it is a planting project, pruning work day, or educational tree walk. Urban Forestry offers:
Project assistance from our experienced outreach staff and arborists
- Guest speakers
- Tree care instruction
Tool check out from our Tree Tool Library
- Pruning equipment: pole saws, hand saws, hand pruners, pole pruners, and loppers
- Planting equipment: shovels, stake pounders, hard hats
- Safety vests, gloves, buckets
Common arboriculture supplies
- Mulch and chips
- Establishment supplies such as stakes, tree ties, hoses, and watering bags
- PP&R handbooks on pruning, winter tree id, summer tree id, and Heritage Trees
- Participant giveaways of small native trees and PP&R stickers
- Event site reservations (up to $100; may be free at PP&R sites)
- Refreshments for volunteers (up to $75 per event)
- Publicity, photocopying, flyers, signage (up to $100)
- Applicant must be either a Neighborhood Tree Steward or Tree Team.
- Event must be conducted within the City of Portland and arranged by volunteers.
- Projects must benefit trees that are publicly owned, regulated, or in public use and projects must show a clear public benefit. Funding is not available for trees that are solely privately owned and/or accessible. Priority is given to projects benefiting trees on City of Portland property or the public right-of-way.
- All tree purchase requests will require a two year establishment plan and plans for long term maintenance of the tree. The establishment and long term maintenance plans must be documented in an MOU signed by the property owner and responsible volunteer group.
Funding Request Process
Download the Funding Request Form here. Requests are due a minimum of one month prior to the date needed. Some projects may need additional lead time.
- Applications are due on the 15th of each month. Email funding request form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applicants are notified by the 1st of the following month.