Get on board with City Nature's "Nature Day Camp!"
Making plans for the summer? Be sure to include Summer Nature Day Camp! Youngsters under the age of 14 disappear into the woods and wild spaces of Portland as they explore nature under the guidance of experienced staff. Weekly Nature Themes drive the focus of the camp but are only a catalyst -- this child-directed camp caters to children individually and as a group. We hire staff who have an affinity to both ecology and play, and our summer staff members are trained in the traditional crafts & games of Nature Day Camp, child development, small group and large group management, risk management, Leave No Trace principles, nature crafts, ethnobotany, Portland Parks & Natural Areas stewardship, First Aid, and CPR. Our goals are to connect children to nature through hands-on experiences, to model curiosity & wonder and to be a collection of positive influences toward children of all ages.
Staff Camp staff have experience with environmental education curricula, wilderness philosophy, and child management techniques. PP&R runs an extensive background check for each individual on a yearly basis. Staff are all certified in CPR and first aid as part of their yearly training.
Groups Groups of campers are led by two qualified staff and one trained assistant with a maximum of 12 campers. Groups are arranged by age: ages 3 1/2-5 (Fledglings), ages 4-6 (Rockin' Robins), ages 5-6, ages 7-8, ages 9-10, and ages 11-13.
Behavior All campers must behave in a manner which respects the rights and safety of others. Camp staff reserves the right to dismiss students from the program without a refund if their behavior becomes a problem.
Hours of Camp
- Rockin' Robins "Fledglings" (ages 3.5-5)..........9am-noon (T-Th)
- Rockin’ Robins (ages 4-6)........9am-1pm (M-Th)
- Nature Day Camp.....................9am-3pm (M-F)
- Morning and Afternoon care may be available. Please read more about Extended Care options HERE!
Tuition for a week of camp
- Rockin’ Robins "Fledglings" Mini Camp........$108 (Resident), $152 (Non-residents)
- Rockin’ Robins Nature Camp........................$145 (Resident), $203 (Non-residents)
- Nature Day Camp.........................................$220 (Resident), $308 (Non-residents)
Partial scholarships are available. Scholarship Application.
Withdrawl Policy There are no refunds within 10 business days before the camp session begins. Changes from one nature camp session to another can be done if space allows at no charge. All refunds & withdrawls must be done through the Environmental Education Office (503-823-3601).
Special Assistance Children of all abilities and interests are welcome to participate in our programs. If your child requires special assistance to participate, please contact the Environmental Education Office.
A completed Health Form is required for all campers to participate each week of camp. Please fill it out the form - it's a writable PDF file, so save a copy if you need to! Your child will need a new form every week they are registered. If an item does not apply please write "N/A". Print and sign the form. Bring with you to the first day of your week of camp.
- Have more than one child attending camp? Fill out the information that is the same for both children, then SAVE your work to use for both forms!
- Have a child attending more than one week? SAVE the document after filling it out, so you can print an additional copy!