Urban Forestry Seasonal Positions – Now Hiring
Applications accepted until March 9, 2016
Portland Parks & Recreation Urban Forestry is seeking seasonal staff to work with its science and policy group conducting tree inventory and monitoring activities.
Tree Inventory Coordinator (multiple positions, job class is Community Service Aide II)
- Conduct street tree inventory workshops with volunteers in Portland neighborhoods. This includes public speaking, training volunteers, organizing logistics, and checking data for accuracy.
- Collect street tree inventory data, including tree identification, measurement, and assessment and site evaluation using paper forms and mobile ArcGIS.
- Analyze data and write reports on inventory findings.
- Visit http://portlandoregon.gov/parks/treeinventory for project details.
- Additional duties may include conducting tree planting inspections and data entry.
- Work schedule is Tuesday through Saturday from 7 am to 3:30 pm.
- Position start date is April 26 and duration is approximately 6 months.
- Pay rate is $16/hour.
Elm Monitor (one position, job class is Community Service Aide II)
- Monitor Portland’s 2,000+ elm population for symptoms of Dutch elm disease. Requires travel throughout the city, visual inspection for symptoms, and recording inspection results.
- Maintain inspection records, collect samples and send for lab analysis, and work with City inspectors and property owners during the removal of infected trees.
- Collect tree data, including identification, measurement, and assessment using mobile ArcGIS.
- Visit https://www.portlandoregon.gov/parks/article/424029 for project details.
- Work schedule is Monday through Friday from 7 am to 3:30 pm.
- Position start date is June 2 and duration is approximately 4 months.
- Pay rate is $16/hour.
- Tree identification skills, especially non-native trees
- Experience collecting and maintaining data, especially with mobile devices
- Experience with ArcGIS and Excel
- Ability to work independently
- Organization skills and attention to detail
- Writing and communication skills, including report writing and public speaking
- Experience working with volunteers
- University coursework in forestry, GIS, botany, or related subjects
Required for All Positions: Valid driver's license and acceptable driving record, must pass a criminal background check, and must be at least 18 years of age.
Application procedure: Applications accepted until March 9. Send resume, cover letter, and list of three professional references via email to Julie Fukuda, CS Aide II, email@example.com 971-337-7437. Please specify which position(s) you are applying for in your cover letter. Candidates selected for interviews will be notified by March 14.
Portland Parks & Recreation values a diverse workforce and seeks ways to promote equity and inclusion within the organization. PP&R encourages candidates with knowledge, ability and experience working with a broad range of individuals and diverse communities to apply. PP&R encourages candidates that can fluently speak more than one language.
If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veteran's Administration letter stating your disability to your profile. You must request Veteran's Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment you apply for. Veteran's Preference documentation must be submitted with your application.