FREE Play Smart –Youth Heart Screenings for youth aged 12-18
Take a look at the strength of your heart!
PlaySmart™ screenings start with the usual height, weight and blood-pressure checks followed by an electrocardiogram (ECG). While an ECG may sound ominous, it is preformed by simply attaching twelve sticky pads to the patients body. There are no needles involved. No poking or prodding. It is a completely non-invasive procedure to measure and record a picture of your heart beat. A copy of the ECG will be given to you after your screening.
PlaySmart ™ aims to meet the American Heart Association Recommendation for Preparticipation Cardiovascular Screening of Atheletes by providing FREE heart screenings to youth ages 12-18 years-old. These screenings help to identify serious heart abnormalities that often go unnoticed during routine sports physicals and well-child check-ups. While no screening program will identify all abnormalities, PlaySmart™ screenings have successfully identified over 395 cardiac conditions in youth through its first 3 1/2 years of work.
Upcoming PlaySmart™ events offered in partnership with PP&R are:
Saturday, July 9, 2016, 7-10pm
Charles Jordan Community Center, 9009 N Foss Street
Friday, July 22, 2016, 6-10pm
Matt Dishman Community Center, 77 NE Knott Street
Friday, August 5, 2016, 6-9:30pm
East Portland Community Center, 740 SE 106th Avenue
Friday, August 19, 2016, 6-9:30pm
Mt Scott Community Center, 5530 SE 72nd Avenue
Tuesday, August 23, 2016, 4-9pm
Montavilla Community Center, 8219 NE Glisan St
- Drop-in to the designated site any time within the listed time frame and we will get you set up for your screening!
- Consent form and questionnaire required. Print them from the links shown on the left of your screen or complete them onsite.
- Screenings take approximately 6-8 minutes total! No need to take up your full day! It's quick, it's easy, and it saves lives!
- Visit the Play Smart site for more information at playsmartgetscreened.org
- Check out the Play Smart video: Go to the Play Smart main page, playsmartgetscreened.org and click on the hyperlinked "educational video" in the middle of the page. This educational video takes you through the screening process. phsoregon.org/video/?view=926c2c60041d6x480x294
See you at a screening event soon!