The center was first constructed in 1927 as a wood-frame bathhouse for the pre-existing outdoor pool. In 1949, a concrete building was constructed, and the dressing rooms in the original building were renovated. The gymnasium and roller-skating rink in the basement were constructed in 1953-1954. The auditorium was constructed sometime between 1949 and 1953. As a result of the 1994 bond measure, an indoor aquatic center was added to the facility in 2000. The outdoor pool was filled in and turned into a parking lot.