Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

Parks & Recreation

Healthy Parks, Healthy Portland

Phone: 503-823-PLAY (7529)

Fax: 503-823-6007

1120 SW Fifth Ave., Suite 1302, Portland, OR 97204

Park sign
Play area
Path
Berkeley Park
SE Cesar E Chavez Blvd & Bybee Blvd Locate this site in PortlandMaps

General Info
Acreage: 6.45
Acquired in 1941

Amenities
Includes accessible play area, accessible restroom, accessible tennis court – outdoor, baseball field, horseshoe pit, paths – paved, picnic tables, playground, soccer field, softball field, tennis court, and tennis court – lighted.
Accessible Play Area Accessible Restroom Baseball Field Horseshoe Pit Paths – Paved Picnic Tables Playground Soccer Field Softball Field Tennis Court

Special Information
Park hours: 5:00am-midnight

To reserve a sports field, please call 503-823-2525.

Accessibility Information

Parking
- Street parking
- Paved pathway to play area
- 1/4 mile to play area

Play Area
- Engineered mulch surface
- Ramp into play area
- Fenced

Play Equipment
- Transfer station

Other Amenities
- Accessible restroom
- Accessible picnic table

Wading Pool Update
PP&R has closed its wading pools for health and safety reasons, as required by new State of Oregon regulations. In 2002, an inventory and assessment of wading pools was completed. Based on those recommendations, as well as input from maintenance and planning staff, PP&R has identified 17 wading pools for replacement and 7 for elimination. Please read the FAQ for more information.

Program Information
Dedicated on July 27, 2014, the Alex Rovello Memorial Courts are the result of the efforts of Alex’s parents, Geri and Jim Rovello, who lost their son in a tragic accident in spring 2013. Alex learned to play tennis at the age of two at Berkeley Park. He went on to win four state singles titles, was a member of Cleveland High School’s only state championship team, and was a nationally ranked Junior Player in the USTA as well as an outstanding player at the University of Oregon. Berkeley Park had two neglected but well-loved courts that have now been renovated to USTA standards. Through generous contributions to the Alex Rovello Memorial Fund, these courts are a fitting tribute to Alex. For more information, visit Alex Rovello Memorial Courts

Historical Information
Berkeley Park was purchased as part of a 20-acre neighborhood tract in 1941 with funds from a 1938 tax levy. Housing was developed except for a 6.5 acre tract which was designated for a potential park. In 1946, Park Superintendent C.P. Keyser thought Berkeley was too costly to develop. With three sides already having housing, it was thought the area would best be used for additional housing. The neighbors disagreed and petitioned for the property to be developed as a park. The neighborhood succeeded and Berkeley Park was developed.