The property was originally owned by Oregon pioneer, Thomas F. Stephens. The property was divided and one, if not both, parcels
were purchased by Philip A. Marquam, who was for many years the largest landowner in Multnomah County. In July 1888, Southwest Portland Company purchased the land for $150,000, creating the
original 411 acres of the Fulton Park District. In June 1910, B.M. Lombard, in partnership with Fulton Park Land Company, recorded a replat of 272 acres of the Fulton Park District land, creating South Burlingame Neighborhood.
In 1914, the Fulton Park Elementary School was built. The school housed grades K-8 in its four classrooms all opening into a central gymnasium, complete with a stage. A later remodel of the building included a new kitchen and additional bathroom facilities. The building was designed by Floyd Archibald Naramore, who was the architect and superintendent of school properties for Portland Public Schools from 1912 to 1919. In his seven years in Portland, Naramore designed and built many schools including the historic Kennedy School in northeast Portland.
In 1958, PP&R obtained the school building through a leasing agreement with Portland Public Schools whereby PP&R would maintain and use the facility until such time that it may be needed as a school again. PP&R owned the land upon which the facility was built, as well as the adjacent forested area, park, and community garden properties. PP&R purchased the building from Portland Public Schools in 1999.