Wading Pool Update PP&R has closed its wading pools for health and safety reasons, as required by new State of Oregon regulations. In 2002, an inventory and assessment of wading pools was completed. Based on those recommendations, as well as input from maintenance and planning staff, PP&R has identified 17 wading pools for replacement and 7 for elimination. Please read the FAQ for more information.
Originally called Belmont Park, this site was renamed in 1938 in honor of Colonel Owen Summers, a former member of the Oregon Legislature. Summers was the commanding officer of the Second Oregon Volunteers Regiment in the Spanish-American War. He also introduced the bill which later created the Oregon National Guard.
In the southwest corner of this park there is a huge rock, which came from Kelly Butte. This rock holds a bas relief image of Colonel Summers on a bronze plaque.