Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

Parks & Recreation

Healthy Parks, Healthy Portland

Phone: 503-823-PLAY (7529)

Fax: 503-823-6007

1120 SW Fifth Ave., Suite 1302, Portland, OR 97204

Gabriel Park
Play area
Skatepark
Gabriel Park
SW 45th Ave & Vermont St Locate this site in PortlandMaps

General Info
Acreage: 90.65
Acquired in 1950

Amenities
Includes accessible picnic area, accessible play area, accessible restroom, baseball field, basketball court, dog off-leash area – fenced, paths – paved, paths – unpaved, picnic site – reservable, picnic tables, playground, skatepark, soccer field, softball field, tennis court, tennis court – lighted, and volleyball court.
Accessible Picnic Area Accessible Play Area Accessible Restroom Baseball Field Basketball Court Dog Off-Leash Area – Fenced Paths – Paved Paths – Unpaved Picnic Site – Reservable Picnic Tables Playground Skatepark Soccer Field Softball Field Tennis Court Volleyball Court


Related Information
Gabriel OLA Map-Hours.pdf (PDF Document, 624.9 Kb)

Special Information
Park hours: 5:00am-midnight. Parking lot off SW Canby closed at 10:00pm.

To reserve a sports field or picnic area, call 503-823-2525. Picnic Site Maps & Info

Accessibility Information

Parking
- Parking lot
- 2 designated parking spaces
- Paved pathway to play area with slight slope
- 200 feet to play area

Play Area
- Engineered mulch surface
- Rubberized surface at transfer station
- Ramp into play area

Play Equipment
- Transfer station
- Sensory play elements

Other Amenities
- Accessible restroom
- Accessible picnic table

Program Information
Skatepark Stats
Constructed in 2008, the skatepark is 10,000 sq ft, featuring 8,000 sq ft of snake run and 2,000 sq ft of unique perimeter features including a wall ride, pump bumps, tranny trench, and vert tranny to slappy curb. The snake run includes a 9-ft-deep bowl with concrete coping and tractor seat; the midsection has three hips and a rolled lip design.

Historical Information
Swiss immigrant Ulrich Gabriel arrived in 1890 and eventually bought and farmed property south of what is now Vermont Street, and operated the Pine Creek Dairy. He raised corn, wheat, and potatos, but his main income came from his dairy herd.

In October 1950, the city purchased an 87-acre tract of land featuring two small creeks and wooded areas between Vermont and Canby Streets for $120,000. Part of the property, referred to as Gabriel Acres, gave the park its name.