Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

Parks & Recreation

Healthy Parks, Healthy Portland

Phone: 503-823-PLAY (7529)

Fax: 503-823-6007

1120 SW Fifth Ave., Suite 1302, Portland, OR 97204

Lents Park
Play area
Lents Park
SE 92nd Ave & Holgate Blvd Locate this site in PortlandMaps

General Info
Acreage: 38.14
Acquired in 1914

Amenities
Includes accessible picnic area, accessible play area, accessible restroom, baseball field, basketball court, dog off-leash area, football field, horseshoe pit, paths – paved, paths – unpaved, picnic site – reservable, picnic tables, playground, soccer field, softball field, stage – outdoor, tennis court, tennis court – lighted, and tennis practice board.
Accessible Picnic Area Accessible Play Area Accessible Restroom Baseball Field Basketball Court Dog Off-Leash Area Football Field Horseshoe Pit Paths – Paved Paths – Unpaved Picnic Site – Reservable Picnic Tables Playground Soccer Field Softball Field Stage – Outdoor Tennis Court


Related Information
Lents OLA Map-Hours.pdf (PDF Document, 635.9 Kb)

Special Information
Park hours: 5:00am-midnight

To reserve a sports field or picnic area, call 503-823-2525. Picnic Site Maps & Info

Accessibility Information

Parking
- Street parking
- Paved pathway to play area
- 300 feet to play area

Play Area
- Engineered mulch surface
- Ramp into play area

Play Equipment
- Transfer station

Other Amenities
- Accessible restroom
- Accessible picnic table

Wading Pool Update
PP&R has closed its wading pools for health and safety reasons, as required by new State of Oregon regulations. In 2002, an inventory and assessment of wading pools was completed. Based on those recommendations, as well as input from maintenance and planning staff, PP&R has identified 17 wading pools for replacement and 7 for elimination. Please read the FAQ for more information.

Historical Information
Lents Park is named after Oliver Perry Lent, a stonemason who came to Oregon in the 1850s to farm a 190-acre land claim. The area became the center of a growing farm community. George P. Lent, the eldest son of Oliver Lent, platted the town of Lents in 1892. In 1912, the Lents community was annexed from Multnomah County and incorporated into the City of Portland.

According to neighborhood reports, the original 5.2 acres of Lents Park had previously been used as a gravel quarry. During the 1940s and 1950s, an additional 32 acres was purchased from private property owners by the City of Portland in an effort to assemble all of the land between SE 88 & 92 and SE Holgate & Steele for park purposes. In 1953, a central plan was prepared by the City, proposing locations for a baseball stadium, athletic playing fields, tennis courts, community buildings, pathways, and parking areas. Construction on the stadium began in 1956.

The stadium was named after Charles B. Walker. From 1930-1934, he supervised playground softball teams as a playground leader and in 1934, organized the first industrial and commercial softball leagues. In 1935, he was appointed as the city's first Sports Director. From 1944-45, Walker served as an American Red Cross Field Director in Germany. Upon his return from the war, he helped organize the first men's and women's softball tourneys ever held west of the Mississippi. In 1950, he was appointed as the commissioner of the Amateur Softball Association (ASA) for the Portland Metro area. He also served as the Pacific Coast Vice-President of the ASA. He retired from the Parks Bureau in 1969 after 40 years of dedication and service to the game of softball.