Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

Parks & Recreation

Healthy Parks, Healthy Portland

Phone: 503-823-PLAY (7529)

Fax: 503-823-6007

1120 SW Fifth Ave., Suite 1302, Portland, OR 97204

Mt Tabor Park
Play area
Park
Mt Tabor Park
SE 60th Ave & Salmon St Locate this site in PortlandMaps

General Info
Acreage: 190.82
Acquired in 1909

Amenities
Includes basketball court, disabled access picnic area, disabled access play area, disabled access restroom, dog off-leash area, horseshoe pit, paths – paved, paths – unpaved, picnic shelter, picnic site – reservable, picnic tables, playground, stage – outdoor, statue or public art, tennis court, tennis court – lighted, volleyball court, and wedding site – reservable.
Basketball Court Disabled Access Picnic Area Disabled Access Play Area Disabled Access Restroom Dog Off-Leash Area Horseshoe Pit Paths – Paved Paths – Unpaved Picnic Site – Reservable Picnic Tables Playground Stage – Outdoor Statue Or Public Art Tennis Court Volleyball Court Wedding Site – Reservable


Related Information
Mt Tabor OLA Map-Hours.pdf (PDF Document, 917.1 Kb)
Mt Tabor Park Trail Map.pdf (PDF Document, 1,280.9 Kb)

Special Information
Park hours: 5:00am-midnight. The park is closed to motor vehicles all day Wednesday, and from 10:00pm to 5:00am all other days. The road gates at Salmon, Lincoln/Harrison, and Yamhill Streets will be closed during those times.

To reserve a picnic area, call 503-823-2525. Picnic Site Maps & Info

Accessibility Information

Parking
- Parking lot & street parking
- 1 designated parking space (van)
- Paved pathway to play area with moderate slope
- 500 feet to play area

Play Area
- Engineered mulch surface
- Ramp into play area

Play Equipment
- Transfer station

Other Amenities
- Accessible restroom
- Accessible picnic table

Program Information
This park is maintained with the volunteer assistance of the Friends of Mt Tabor Park. To find out how you can help at your neighborhood park, call 503-823-5121.

Mt Tabor Invasive Plant Control & Revegetation Project

Historical Information
Portland's Mt Tabor, a volcanic cinder cone, was named by Plympton Kelly, son of Oregon City pioneer resident Clinton Kelly, after Mt Tabor in Israel, six miles east of Nazareth. In 1894, the city built two open reservoirs on the site (two other open reservoirs were built in 1911). By 1900, Portland's growing eastside population demanded park space; in 1903 landscape architect John C. Olmsted recommended the city obtain more land at Mt Tabor. In 1909, the Board of Park Commissioners used voter-approved bonds to buy approximately forty lots on Mt Tabor for $366,000.

Portland Parks Superintendent Emanuel Tillman Mische, who had worked with the Olmsted Brothers' landscape design firm in Massachusetts, developed a naturalistic design for the park. The plan included long flights of stairs, gently curving parkways, numerous walking trails, and a nursery yard. It also showcased native plants. In 1912, construction workers discovered volcanic cinders which were later utilized in surfacing the park's roads.

At the crest of the park is a bronze statue of Harvey W. Scott, editor of The Oregonian newspaper from 1865-1872 and from 1877 until his death in 1910. A gift to the city by Scott's widow, Margaret, and family, it was sculpted by Gutzon Borglum in the early 1930s while he was at work on his monumental sculpture of four American presidents on Mt Rushmore in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Cast by the Kunst Foundry in New York, it was unveiled in June 1933 with great ceremony.