Peninsula Park is a formally designed neighborhood park, typical of the early 1900s. It includes the city's first public rose garden and first community center, a historically designated bandstand, and Portland's second oldest playground.
The park was purchased by the city in 1909 for $60,000 with funds raised in a 1908 bond measure. Originally owned by local businesswoman Liverpool Liz, it had been the site for a roadhouse and racetrack for quarter-mile horse racing. An autopark and campground were also included in the original parcel. Planned by renowned Oregon architects Ellis Lawrence and Ormond R. Bean, the park was a result of Portland's 1912 'City Beautiful' movement. Completed in 1913, much remains of the original features, including the lantern-style streetlights, the stone pillars, vast brickwork, and the nearly 100-year-old fountain in the center of the rose garden.
Disc #4, a bronze sculpture by Jerry Allen, was installed in 1979 along the west side of the park.
Heartbleed Security Notice
A serious security vulnerability known as "Heartbleed" was recently discovered in OpenSSL, a popular
software library commonly used by many websites on the internet to encrypt communication between a user's computer and a web server.
PortlandOregon.gov is NOT affected by this vulnerability as it does not use the OpenSSL software library. Please rest assured we
are dedicated to protecting your security on this website.