Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

Parks & Recreation

Healthy Parks, Healthy Portland

Phone: 503-823-PLAY (7529)

Fax: 503-823-6007

1120 SW Fifth Ave., Suite 1302, Portland, OR 97204

Play area
Sports field
St Johns Park
8427 N Central St Locate this site in PortlandMaps

General Info
Acreage: 5.77
Acquired in 1941

Amenities
Includes disabled access play area, paths – paved, picnic tables, playground, soccer field, and softball field.
Disabled Access Play Area Paths – Paved Picnic Tables Playground Soccer Field Softball Field

Special Information
Park hours: 5:00am-midnight

To reserve a sports field, call 503-823-2525.

Accessibility Information

Parking
- Street parking
- Paved pathway to play area
- 250 feet to play area

Play Area
- Engineered mulch surface
- Rubberized surface for merry-go-round
- Ramp into play area

Play Equipment
- Transfer station
- Sensory play elements

Other Amenities
- Accessible restroom inside community center
- Accessible picnic table

Wading Pool Update
PP&R has closed its wading pools for health and safety reasons, as required by new State of Oregon regulations. In 2002, an inventory and assessment of wading pools was completed. Based on those recommendations, as well as input from maintenance and planning staff, PP&R has identified 17 wading pools for replacement and 7 for elimination. Please read the FAQ for more information.

Historical Information
The park is located in the community of St Johns, which was named in honor of settler James John. In 1846 he built a brick house at the edge of the river on what was once an Indian camping ground. He filed for a Donation Land Grant of 320 acres in 1850. In 1852, he operated a general merchandise store in part of his house as well as a ferry across the river. James John laid out part of his property as an eight-block town site which was platted in 1865 with an eight-block addition in 1868. It was named for him in 1892. It is said his reputation as a hermit and recluse inspired the title "Saint" John. One explanation for the additional 's' that now appears in the town's name is that the area may have been referred to as St John's - meaning that the place belonged to James John - and the apostrophe was eventually dropped.