To apply for the System Development Charge (SDC) Exemption Program, developers must submit an application and supporting documentation to the Portland Housing Bureau (PHB). Developers must apply for the program after they submit their plans to the Permit Center, but before they pull and pay for their building permits. Below is the list of required documents to be considered for the program:
- A fully completed SDC Exemption Application for each permit number.
- Required exhibits:
- Articles of Incorporation, Articles of Organization, By-Laws, and/or Statements of Action
- Corporate Resolution (as applicable, grants signature authority on behalf of an entity)
- Proof of site control (such as Warranty Deed)
- Tax/Plat map indicating lots to be developed and proof of lot segregation as necessary
- Legal Description
- Completed Asset Management SDC Rental Form (for rental projects only)
- A $575 check paid to the order of the Portland Housing Bureau
Applications are reviewed within five business days by a program administrator who will notify the project contact of any necessary additional information. Please allow more time for processing a rental exemption application.
Once approved for the program, PHB will:
- Contact the applicant to coordinate signing the Regulatory Agreement (view sample Rental or Homeownership Regulatory Agreements) which is recorded with Multnomah County
- Issue an SDC Exemption Approval Letter
The applicant must contact the four SDC Bureaus to request the exemptions be credited to their permit in lieu of paying the SDCs. Please note: The SDC Bureaus will not refund paid System Development Charges.