Requesting a Police Report
All requests for police reports must be in writing.
Copies of Portland Police Reports are available by mail only.
$10.00 for the first 5 pages, $2.00 each additional page
The Portland Police Bureau will charge for search time even if we fail to locate any records responsive to the request or even if the records located are subsequently determined to be exempt from disclosure (minimum of $10.00).
To obtain a report and to avoid additional search fees or delays, please provide as much information as possible about the incident and the person(s) involved. Supply, if known: the date of the incident; the full name and date(s) of birth of person(s) involved; the location of the incident; the type of incident; and license plate and/or vehicle identification number (VIN) of vehicle(s) involved.
- Date of the incident: Date and time the incident occurred or when the report was filed.
- Full name and date of birth: First, middle, and last name of the person(s) involved. Include date of birth if available. A home address will be helpful in narrowing a search.
- Location of incident: Provide the exact address of the incident. If there isn't an exact address, then provide cross streets. Be sure to include the direction, i.e., NW St. Helens Road and the St. Johns Bridge or E Burnside St. Highways and freeways are also searchable, i.e., northbound on Interstate 5 near the Jantzen Beach exit. If the incident occurred at an apartment complex, include the name of the complex.
- Type of incident: Provide information on the type of incident that occurred. Examples of commonly requested reports include: automobile accident, assault, theft of an item, or family disturbance.
- License plate and/or vehicle identification number (VIN): Provide as much information as possible about the vehicle(s) involved. The description, red Chevy two-door, is not searchable, but OR plate ABC 123; VIN JHM456l23230; red Dodge Ram pick-up is very specific and will narrow the search.
Mail the Police Report Request Form
, a business-size (large enough for five standard sheets of paper), self-addressed, stamped envelope, and a check or money order in the amount of $10.00 to:
Portland Police Bureau
1111 SW 2nd Avenue, Room 1126
Portland, Oregon 97204
Make check payable to: Treasurer, City of Portland