Add layers of protection
To protect yourself in cold weather you put on layers of clothing to say warm. It's no different when you want to protect your vehicle from car thieves.
Use a layered approach
The more layers of protection on your vehicle, the more difficult it is to steal.
Layer 1, Common Sense
This one's simple and doesn't cost a thing.
- Lock your doors
- Remove your keys from the ignition
- Close you windows completely
- Park in well lit areas
Layer 2, Visible or Audible Devices
Car alarms are annoying when they go off. Just ask a car thief...they work. They avoid cars with anti-theft devices like car alarms or vehicle inhibitors.
- Audible alarm systems
- Steering wheel/brake locks
- Steering wheel column collars
- Theft deterrent (blinking) lights, decals
- Wheel locks
- Window etching
Layer 3, Vehicle Immobilizer
Thieves can bypass your ignition by "hot wiring" a vehicle. But you can deter the bad guys by installing a vehicle immobilizer system.
- Smart keys with a computer chip built into the key and must be present to start the vehicle.
- Fuse cut-off switches
- Kill switches
- Starter, ignition and fuel disablers
Layer 4, Tracking Systems
The 4th layer of protection is a tracking system that tracks and alerts the authorities of the whereabouts of your vehicle when it is stolen. These systems can often times recover your vehicle faster and with less damage.